Chapter 21: Sydney

Looking over the menu at O'Shay's, Sydney couldn't figure out what any of the items were.

"Do you know what you want, yet?" Casey asked, eyeing her.

"Um, you pick for me. I want to see if you have good taste," she said, smiling.

She didn't want to look stupid in front of him and order something she wouldn't like. But, she also didn't want to ask him about the menu. She already had too many moments when she'd asked about something so common in the Western Region, and she didn't want to raise his suspicions of her again.

You can let him get to know some of you, but not all of you. Especially not the part about you being an Easterner.

Casey looked at her, a small grin growing on his face.

"Okay, but even if you don't like it, I still have great taste," he said with a smile.

Casey raised his hand into the air, signaling for a waiter to come take their order. Sydney saw a middle-aged woman spot them and start heading their way, but then an older man came and stopped her.

"No, no. I'll take their table," he said, smiling at her and Casey.

The man was big, and round; he looked jolly and cheerful, with rosey cheeks, a shiny bald head, and a full white beard.

"Oh no, Mr. O'Shay, please don't embarrass me," Casey pleaded in a joking manner.

"Nonsense, Casey. I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing," the old man said through a laugh. "I'm Will O'Shay. Welcome to O'Shay's."

"Hi, I'm Sydney. Nice to meet you."

"What's it going to be for the two of you?" he asked, and Sydney just waited for Casey to order.

"Two of my usual order, with a pitcher of honey-tea," Casey said, holding up two of his fingers as he spoke.

"Got it," the old man said, cheerfully. "Now, Sydney, has Casey ever told you about the time the whole village went down to Sri Naya Lake and he-"

"Mr. O'Shay?! Please, do not tell her that story!" Casey pleaded, his face looking flushed as a nervous smile claimed his face.

Aw, that's cute.

"Alright, alright, I get it. I won't embarrass you in front of the pretty girl," he said, raising his hands in surrender.

Then Mr. O'Shay left them alone, heading into the back, leaving Sydney smiling from ear to ear. She didn't know how long her face was in that postion until Casey spoke.

"You look nice when you smile like that," he said, casually. "You should do it more often."

"Do what? Smile? I do that a normal amount of times," she said, leaning back onto the booth seat.

"Not really. But even if you did, they're rarely ever real ones."

Sydney froze, wondering just how much he observed.

"And why do you think that is?" she asked, her voice getting softer and more serious.

"I wouldn't know where to start. That's something you'd have to tell me," he said, leaning forward and onto the table.

"Maybe I will, one day," she said even softer than before.

Maybe today.

Just then, their food came out, and they ate in silence.

When they finished, Casey took her to a few other places in town. The tour wasn't much to Sydney; just some old buildings and dirt paths.

By the time she'd seen most of LeHorn, more people were starting to come out. She could feel their eyes on her, and she felt uneasy.