Chapter 47: Jasper

"What just happened!?" Brenan yelled, causing Jasper to wince from the loud volume so close to his eardrum.

"They got Lucas," he answered, his voice sad as he started running down the stairs. "Gosh, and we were so close!"

Continuing his descent, Jasper looked back to see what happened to the guy that was chasing him. Still moving, he heard a door burst open from the first floor. Peeking over the railing, he saw a group of security officers rushing in, each of them armed and on the hunt...for him.

Skipping steps to quicken his pace, Jasper ran through the door leading to the third floor. The moment he stepped through, he acted normal, like he wasn't an intruder attempting to flee the scene. As he passed by a copy machine, he grabbed a handful of papers and placed them on top of the folder that just cost him the freedom of his friend.

"This is crazy, Brenan. I can't just leave him here," Jasper said, keeping his head down as he tried to be discreet.

"If you go back, you'll just get arrested, like him, and this will all have been for nothing," Brenan shared.

"I know, but-"

"No buts," a familiar voice said through the earpiece, making him stumble. "Get out of here, Jasp, or I'll never forgive you."

It was Lucas. His voice was a harsh whisper, telling Jasper to leave while he still had the chance.

"Luke?" Jasper asked, surprised he could hear him. He hadn't realized they could hear each other through the earpieces as well. "How are you-"

"They put me in a holding room on the fourth floor. No one's in here with me, but I can hear some guys outside of it, gaurding me. And I know what you're thinking, Jasp, but you can't come and get me. You need to leave, now."

"But maybe I can-"

"You can't!" Lucas yelled, his voice breaking from its hushed tone in frustration. "Crap, they're coming in. Brenan, get him out of here."

"I will," Brenan replied as Jasper noticed his knuckles turning white from his fists clenching so hard.

When Lucas didn't respond, he assumed it was because he had unwanted company, and hoped it wasn't because they'd realized he had an earpiece.

"What now?" he asked Brenan, taking a turn that exposed an elevator at the end of the hall.

"Look through the folder and see if you can find the code."

Looking over his shoulder and seeing no one was close to him, Jasper flipped through the contents, not sure exactly what the code would look like, but praying he'd know when he saw it.

Scanning page after page, as thorough as he could, his crystal blue eyes lingered on the header of the second to last page in the folder. The title was the most promising thing he'd seen all day: "Access Codes" with the date scribbled beside it in what he assumed to be the head officer's handwriting.

"I found it," Jasper said, and he could hear Brenan sigh in relief on the other end.

Reading further into the page, he came across a code labeled "Top Clearance", which he concluded had to be the hidden gem they were looking for. Reciting it clearly through the earpiece, making sure to properly anunciate every letter and number, Jasper waited for Brenan's confirmation of success.

Please let this work.

Seconds passed with no words from Brenan, and by now, Jasper was nearing the elevator, keeping his head down to hide his face. The stairs were not an option as long as officers were swarming them, but people seemed to still be free to take the elevator, so he waited for it to come to the floor.