Chapter 12: Sydney

Sydney stood in the bathroom, leaning against the wall, her mind in deep thought. She felt terrible for assuming the worst of Casey. But, despite his help, she didn't completely trust him. It wasn't because he was a Westerner; although she still had some deeply rooted reservations about them. It was more so because he was just a stranger to her. And, in the state she was in, she was on guard, refusing to be taken advantage of.

After a couple of minutes, Sydney undressed herself, having to sit down to keep from falling. When she took her pants off, she was able to get her first look at her leg since the injury.

Are you kidding me?!

Across her shin, and part of her calf, was a huge gash. Dried blood bordered it, and there was some shards of metal stuck in the wound. That must be from one of the cars that blew up. Maybe the limo?

Fully aware of the pain she was about to experience, Sydney grabbed the other fresh towel that was folded on the counter and bit it. Then, without hesitation, she dug her fingers in the wound, fishing out the scrap metal that was keeping her in constant pain.

Her screams were muffled by the towel, barely audible. When she finished, she counted out six pieces of metal. She instantly felt relief, like a certain pressure was gone, no longer pushing on her leg; but there was still a lingering pain. Sydney knew there was nothing else she could do about it at the moment. She just hoped she'd come across a doctor before her wound got infected.

After standing up, much easier than before, Sydney limped over to the shower, turning the water on. When it was hot enough, she got in, instantly engulfed in the steam and warmth of the water.

Huh, when I close my eyes, it's almost like I'm back in my dorm room.

A few bitter tears escaped, but were washed off my the streaming water coming out of the shower handle.

"Get it together, Sydney," she told herself.

One of the things she hated about grief was the way it exposed her vulnerabilities. She always prided herself on her tough and guarded exterior, it helped her blend in with the guys back in her training class. Sucking it up, she finished her shower without losing another tear.

When she got out, she wrapped the towel around her body, her blonde hair now more of a light brown when it's wet. She bent down and picked up her soaked clothes, wringing them out in the sink with much more ease than she would have before.

At least I won't need the crutch anymore.

With the scrap metal out of her leg, Sydney could now walk on it, although she still had some pain and a limp.

After hanging her clothes on the rack, next to Casey's, she looked into the very fogged up mirror. Using her hand, she wiped off the condensation until she could see herself clearly.

Wow, I look like crap.

Her eyes were pink and puffy, and she had a few scratches on her cheek and chin. But, considering the fates others faced, Sydney counted herself lucky; even if she was forced into hiding.

Using her towel, she dried off the rest of her body, and then wrapped it around her dripping hair. She pulled the black t-shirt Casey had given her over her body; it was the only thing dry for her to wear, and she was grateful.

She quickly threw her hair into a side braid, and looked at herself one last time before going out. She wished the shirt was longer, but it covered what it needed to, so she wouldn't be picky.

Beggars can't be choosers.

When she opened the bathroom door, the first thing that caught her eye was the huge blanket on the floor, with a pillow on top. She expected to have to lean on the wardrobe again to fall asleep, assuming Casey wanted all of his blankets and pillows along with his bed.