Chapter 14: Sydney

When Casey left, Sydney immediately changed back into her clothes. She didn't know where she would go, but she knew she couldn't stay here. She was grateful to have some shelter and company her first night there, but she knew every night wouldn't be like that. There were more hardships awaiting her. She could try to delay them, but they would get to her sooner or later.

Folding up the black t-shirt Casey kindly lent her, Sydney placed it on the corner of the bed, along with the two coins she still had. It's not much, but it's all I have to give him as a thanks. If he really doesn't want them, he can give them to someone else.

After tying her hair back into a loose bun, Sydney grabbed her bag. She had to make sure she had all of her things. Once she saw that she had both her guns, her extra ammo, and the tracker from Jasper, she left the comfortable room she had spent the night in and headed out onto the streets of Yorke.

Keeping her head down, Sydney headed to the main road that traffic seemed flow in and out of. There was a sign with two arrows pointing in different directions. One read "Georgetown", and the other "Bartesville". Since she was just wandering, Sydney took the one to the left, not caring which one it lead her to.

To pass the time, she tried to come up with ways she could help Jasper clear her name, but being in a different region made any effort she'd make futile. What could I possibly do from over here?! I hate being so useless!

Frustrated, Sydney kicked the dirt up that she was walking on. She was reminded that her leg was still injured when a sharp pain shot through it.

"Ouch!" she said through her teeth. Way to be an idiot, Sydney.

Still internally scolding herself, Sydney walked at a faster pace. Doing so definitely increased the discomfort she felt in her leg, but she refused to slow down. Her training back in Galdon had prepared her to push through any physical pain she experienced. Holding onto those teachings made her feel connected to her home, instead of a thousand miles away from it.

About two hours passed, and Sydney was still walking; her limp getting worse the more she continued. She wanted nothing more than to stop and rest, but she had no idea how far the next town was and she did not want to be on this road when night fell.

I cannot believe I've been walking this road this long and no cars have come by!

Back in Galdon, Sydney had her own car. She didn't have to walk anywhere far because everything she ever needed was on campus with her. And, if it was far, she could drive.

Well, it's a good thing I trained as hard as I did. If I pursued something more domestic like all the other girls, there's no way I'd be able to survive this.

But, then again, I probably wouldn't even be in this situation. Whoever chose me as the scapegoat wouldn't have had any reason to because I wouldn't have cared about female soldier equality. I wouldn't have made all those stupid comments about President Hayes, and I wouldn't be alone right now.

This realization only made Sydney more upset. All she wanted to do was serve her country, make a difference, save lives. Instead, she got public defamation and was sentenced to roam the Western Region as a vagabond. How did my whole life fall apart in just one day?

Sydney was shook out of her thoughts when she heard the sound of gallops. Is that horses?!

Turning around, she saw a wagon pulled by two horses coming down the road toward her. She stepped off the road into the grass so she wouldn't get hit, but she didn't anticipate the ground to slip out from under her. She fell back on her butt, the cold, wet ground coating her arms and legs. Are you kidding me?!