Chapter 11: Casey

I can't listen to this any longer.

Even though he didn't want to, Casey couldn't shake the feeling to want to help this girl. She was clearly paranoid, and it was undetermined whether she was dangerous or not, but Casey couldn't watch her go back out there.

"That won't be necessary," he spoke up. "She's with me.

He looked at the attendant, waiting for her to acknowledge his statement. He could see that the girl was surprised at his declaration, but she made no efforts to refute him.

"She's with you?" the attendant asked. She was clearly aware that the two of them were strangers and was unsure if there was something she should do.

"Yes, she's with me," Casey asserted, trying not to look at the blonde girl who still looked up at him. He suddenly felt self-conscious under her stare. He wanted to know what she was thinking.

How could a stranger's judgements matter to him? He had never cared of what people thought before, but suddenly, now he did. Suddenly, he cared what she thought of him.

Why?!

He settled the matter, concluding that he wanted to prove to her he wasn't some criminal. She was so quick to pass that judgement, and he just couldn't understand why.

"Okay, umm, will you be getting a separate room for her or-" the attendant started.

"I don't think that concerns you," Casey said as he walked down the hall leading to the rooms.

He made no effort to walk at a slower pace as he looked for the room that matched the key Gordon had given him. He could hear the girl struggling to keep up, but he was still pissed at her for holding him up at gun point.

How did she even get a gun?! Those cost a fortune out here!

Making a mental note to ask her later, Casey continued forward. Eventually, he found his room and, using the key, opened the door. The room was a decent size. The bed was off to the side against one wall, and there was a large oak wardrobe leaning up against the opposite wall.

As he walked in, he threw his bag to the ground.

Not long after coming in, Casey noticed her standing in the door way, still quiet. He looked at her, taking in her appearance. She was still wet from the storm, like he was, and she had mud all over her shoes.

"The bed is mine, you can take the floor." he stated.

"And take your shoes off so you don't track mud everywhere," he added, pointing to her shoes.

She looked down at herself, as if she was taking in her current condition for the first time. She was clearly uncomfortable.

"I'm going to hop in the shower now so, make yourself at home, I guess." Casey walked over to his bag, picking it up to take with him into the bathroom. He didn't want to leave anything out there in case she wanted to take it and run. As he headed into the bathroom he heard her speak up.

"I'm sorry," she said.

He turned around, caught off guard by her sudden breaking of silence. Her big blue eyes were fixed on him.

"What was that?" he asked, lifting his hand to his ear in a dramatic fashion.

Letting out a sigh she repeated, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pulled my gun on you."

"Yeah, you shouldn't have."

Silence fell between them for a moment as Casey took in the apologetic look on her face.