Chapter 48: Sydney

Casey and Reid laid on top of the broken door that was now in pieces on the floor, and Sydney didn't hesitate to rush over, wanting to help them up.

"Are you guys okay?" she asked, noticing how they both flinched when she touched their arms.

"Not gonna lie," Reid huffed, rolling over on his back, his face scrunched up pain. "That knocked the wind out of me."

Patting him on the shoulder of his other arm, Sydney turned her attention to Casey, who was already standing up. Looking him over for any injuries, Casey smiled.

"I'm fine," he said.

Wanting to be sure, but knowing now was not the time, she simply nodded her head and the three of them ran out the hut. As Brooke regrouped with them, Casey pointed to the edge of the village.

"Come on," he urged, taking off in that direction, the rest of them following him.

As she ran, Sydney kept her eyes keen as she watched out for any threats. No one seemed to realize they were gone yet, but as she kept looking, she noticed Brooke looked conflicted.

"What is it?" Sydney asked, slowing her pace so Brooke could catch up.

When she did, they both stopped running, Sydney concerned and Brooke seeming overwhelmed.

"When Reid and I were looking for you two, we saw where they were taking everybody else," she began. "We can't just leave them here."

Sydney's eyes widened at her statement.

"Hey, what's going on?" Casey asked, having ran back when he noticed they weren't following him anymore.

"Everything okay?" Reid added, his eyes mainly focused on Brooke.

"We need to help the others," Sydney spoke up when she saw Brooke sigh. "We can't and won't leave them here."

It was Casey's eyes that widened this time, his brown irises peering into Sydney's with heat.

"They're not in danger," he argued. "Garrett said they'd be free to leave once he handed you over to the mercenaries, which I can't let happen."

"But what will happen to them when he realizes we escaped? Do you think he'll still be inclined to release them?" she questioned, doubting the likelihood.

Who knows what he's capable of.

"We don't even know this Garrett guy," she continued. "He could be lying."

Casey seemed to be thinking, processing her words, but Sydney knew they couldn't wait long. If they didn't decide soon, they'd surely be discovered. It was a miracle they hadn't been already.

"We'd need our weapons," Casey said, causing Sydney to smile at him, but he didn't return the gesture; his hesitancy, coupled with the look of relunctancy he wore, showed he wasn't completely okay with the risk, but had accepted it as the right thing to do.

"We know where they are," Reid said.

The sound of footsteps heading their direction jolted Sydney into action, urging her to get them all moving.

"Quick, lead the way," she said, and they took off, headed away from the covering of the forest, deeper into the village of New Dawn.

There were quite a few close calls, but they somehow managed to stay hidden and out of sight. Sydney and Casey were the main reason for that; their combined survival skills proving helpful as they neared their desired location.

"The building is right up there," Reid whispered.

Looking ahead, Sydney spotted a large, rectangular building which was a stark contrast in comparison to the circular houses around them. Her eyes fluttered over to a smaller shed next to it, which was being guarded by two men; one with a spear and the other with a deadly whip.