09. real life!

• • • • •

• • • • •

Tonight was the first preview of Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812.

And everyone was freaking out.

Especially Josh, who only let Katarina into his dressing room to help calm him down. "Josh, you're going to do great out there!" Katarina said, trying to reassure him.

"But what if they don't like my voice for Pierre? David, Scott, and Dave have been the only other men who have taken the roles, and their voices are different from mine," Josh replied, and Katarina rolled her eyes, and replied, "Yes, and everyone has their own voice. Phillipa Soo's voice is higher and much different than mine, but does that mean one of us is better than the other? No!"

Josh sat down on the small couch next to Katarina, and looked over at her. Sighing, he said, "I've never been on Broadway-"

"And I haven't either," Katarina interrupted, "So we're both kinda on the same page."

Both were already in their costumes, and it was half an hour until show time, and they were needed on the stage. The two leaned on each other, and looking at Josh, Katarina asked, "If you can hit every high note perfectly without a problem, I promise that I will take you out to dinner, and buy you it."

"Hmmmm," Josh said, and brought his finger up to his mouth, tapping his lips. "How about, instead, I buy you food for dinner if you can manage to sneak yourself into The Duel. And follow along with the choreography."

Katarina laughed, and held out her hand, and said, "Deal."

Taking her hand with his, Josh said, "Deal."

°°°°°

Coming off the stage after singing Natasha Lost, Katarina stripped herself of her gloves and flower, and waited for the strobe lights to go off for The Duel.

"What are you doing?" Brittain asked, and Katarina responded, "Josh made a deal with me to buy food for dinner if I could sneak on during The Duel. And play along as it I was apart of it."

Grinning, Brittain said, "Why don't I join you as well?"

The strobe lights went off then, and the two girls gripped each other's hands, and ran out onto the stage. They followed the other dancers, singing along to the lyrics. Grabbing two drinks from another dancer, Katarina made her way over to Josh, and handed him a cup.

"The doctors warned me that with my corpulence," Josh sang, not yet taking notice of Katarina, who had drank the other cup of water, and was dancing with others on the stage.

When it came time for Lucas to sing about Natasha, the spotlight shone down on both Lucas and Katarina, and she grinned at Lucas, whose eyes were wide as he sang about Natasha. It was then that Josh had noticed Katarina, and a wide grin splashed onto his face, before he changed his facial expression to match Pierre.

As the show continued on, both Katarina and Brittain made it their mission to sneak into other scenes, and by the time the show was nearing the end, Josh couldn't stop stealing glances at Katarina.

And then it was time for Pierre & Natasha.