10. real life!

• • • • •

• • • • •

The piano started playing each note, and Josh turned around, to see Katarina in a nightgown.

Her hair was braided, and she was barefoot. She started inching her way down the staircase, and Josh started singing before he got too lost in her presence.

No, no, it was wrong to be a married man and thinking about another woman in that way, He reminded himself as he sang. He couldn't lose control and mess up like he did during most of the rehearsals.

Besides, he was married and she was eleven years younger than him.

The two sang to each other, Katarina channeling Natasha's pain through her beautiful voice. Josh used Pierre's own words of reassurance and love through his own gruff and beautiful voice, and then it came time for Pierre to confess his love for Natasha.

"If . . . If I were not . . . Myself, but the brightest, handsomest . . . Best man on earth, and if I were free . . . I would get down on my knees this minute, and ask you for your hand. And for your love."

Turning, Katarina made eye contact with Josh. Tears were brimming in her eyes, but she was too far away from Josh for him to see. Remembering to sing the lyrics, she tried not to walk to fast to Josh.

"Oh, Pierre," Katarina sang, and reached out to cup Josh's cheek. He leaned away slightly for a moment, before her cheek touched his face, and she gently rubbed her thumb down the side of it, and then took her hand away, pressing it to her chest. "I leave the room smiling."

She made her way off of the stage, where she was going to make a fast change into her first costume, the gown she wore to the opera, and the overcoat she wore as well.

After such an intimate moment, she was going crazy inside of her head.

°°°°°

The giant clatter of everyone coming off the stage was enough for Katarina to practically lock herself in her dressing room.

She was very introverted, and hated being in big crowds. So doing the show had been a bit of a step beyond her personal boundaries. Right after she shut the door, and took off her wig, a knock came to the door. Opening it, a grin made its way onto her face, and she let Josh come inside, who was still in his giant coat and costume as well.

"So, I guess I owe you dinner now," Josh joked, and she laughed, and took off her overcoat. "You did great out there, by the way."

"You did too," She replied, and Josh took off his jacket, and laid it carefully on the small couch in her dressing room. "And you nailed all of your high notes, so I suppose you owe me dinner now, too." He smirked, and Katarina turned, but Josh saw her blush and grin in the mirror.

"I'll go now, we need to change so then we can go out to eat," Josh awkwardly said, grabbing his coat, and waved as he left her dressing room. Looking at her hand that she used to cup Josh's cheek, she felt her heart skip a beat.

And then she went over to the bathroom, opened the door, and washed her hands.

She wished she could wash away her feelings.

°°°°°

About half an hour later, after the two of them had given their entire costumes back to the crew, they put on their jackets and embraced the city for dinner.