36. real life!

• • • • •

• • • • •

Today was July 2nd, Josh's last day.

And Katarina couldn't feel more relieved.

Relieved to no longer be around him, to finally be away from him to heal. She refused to give up her role as Natasha, and was glad to see Josh go, if she was admitting it to herself. She still loved him dearly; still wished they had remained friends at least, but now she could finally heal from what had happened last winter.

It had been announced that Dave was going to take over Josh's role after he left, and Katarina was pretty excited, because she loved spending time with her friend. He reminded her of her own father, who had also befriended Dave.

Her parents had befriended a lot of the cast members.

But Josh was one they hadn't—along with Lucas. It was a damn miracle they approved of Lucas, and they hadn't befriended Brittain or Gelsey. But Nick was one of their favorites to have over at the house, along with Amber and her son.

But now Josh was leaving, and he'd be out of her life.

Katarina didn't know whether or not she'd miss him, or be glad he had left. It made her sad to know their friendship was temporary, but if anything, it had left her fangirl soul enough to love.

"Maybe, he'll come today," Katarina sang, "maybe he came already. And he's sitting in the drawing room . . . And I simply forgot."

Applause sounded all around her for her performance, snd she smiled, before getting up and taking off her overcoat for The Opera.

By the time it came to Dust and Ashes, Katarina watched off from the side. Lucas and Brittain were on either side of her, and they both noticed her intense heart eyes towards Josh.

It broke their hearts to have to witness their best friends go through this, but they were both acting too stupid and stubborn to fix it. Besides, Josh was being immature and pursuing Kat (he though he didn't love her), and Katarina was single and was tired of it.

After Josh finished his final lyric, Katarina and Brittain came onto the stage with their candles, and the opening notes for 'Sunday Morning,' played.

"I see the candle stretching back so far away, I see the mirror . . . I see a shape in the darkness, is it him? Or is it—he's lying down! Oh, Sonya, why is he lying down?" Katarina turned to Brittain, and noticed Josh watching her. This time, she didn't blush or look away, and he didn't either. "I am so frightened! Andrey will never come, or something will happen to me before he does . . . "

Grace raised her arm high above her as she sang her growly line. Katarina raced across the stage as she sang, channeling Natasha's fear of breaking her loyalty to Andrey through her voice.

The scene changed as the song went on, Amber preparing to convince Natasha to come to the ball. "Oh, my enchantress, oh you beautiful thing, charming, charming," Amber sang.

Katarina paused, looking up at Amber. She continued singing as Katarina pretended to blush and be flattered by the words. Natasha was quite impressionable, so these words were perfect to get her to come to the ball.

"Oh how she blushes, how she blushes, my pretty!" Amber sang, and Katarina turned, making eye contact with Josh.

As the song went on, and Katarina got dressed in her ball gown, but the two couldn't break eye contact with each other.

"What once seemed so terrible now seems simple and natural," Katarina extended her arm towards Amber, but continued looking at Josh. "She knows that I'm engaged, and still she talks so frankly, so it must be all right."

Going up the stairs, Katarina listened to Amber sing. She held her dress in her hands as she went upstairs, and then ran across the stage to place her palms on Amber's.

"I will come," She sang, then did a small laugh. The two ran backstage, and Katarina hooked her dress on her hand. The flower was placed in her hair once again, and she was given smaller gloves.

Thank god Josh doesn't come backstage right now, Katarina thought to herself. I don't think I could do that.

After she and Lucas performed The Ball, she rushed to her dressing room to get dressed in her next costume; the silk nightgown and matching silk bathrobe.

Waiting outside the door with her letters for the next act, Katarina stood nervously next to Josh.

"Since . . . Since it's my last show, do you think we could do our old pre—act two ritual?" Josh asked, nervously looking over at Katarina.

She smiled at the thought of it, and said, "Because it's your last show . . . I don't see why not." Calling Courtney over and explaining, the three of them then relived old times.

°°°°°

The end of the show had happened, everyone had given their bows, and some of the cast members made some speeches for Josh.

Including Katarina. A small speech, but . . . A speech. Josh was leaving for good now, and Katarina knew she had to let him know that she loved spending time with him.

Even if most of it was spent apart.

After she had gotten dressed back in her normal clothes, and was getting ready to leave, Katarina made the rash decision to stop by Josh's dressing room.

If he was there, good, if he wasn't, good!

Knocking on the door, Katarina tightly hugged her jacket to her chest as she waited for an answer.

The door opened. "Katarina . . . ?" Josh asked, and she gave him a small nervous smile, and said, "I just wanted to say it was great performing with you, and I wanted to wish you well."

Josh gave her a tender smile, and replied, "Thank you. It was great working with you, too. I hope everything goes well for you as well."

Things were civil. Alright.

Thinking that it was enough, Katarina awkwardly waved, turning as she walked down the hallway. She didn't turn to look at him, she only looked at Lucas, who already had his arm extended.

Josh watched with sadness as Katarina walked away.

Such a different emotion from what he'd felt when he had first met her, and told Kat about it afterwards.

"She's super excited to be in the Great Comet, like me," He'd said that night. "And everyone on the cast is so nice. You're going to have to come meet them soon!"

But she gave him one last glance as she went down the stairs—a small smile, and a wave.

Josh watched her. He had no idea what to do other than that, but it looked to be enough.

Yes. Doing this show had been . . . Enough.