'You play these boys like a flute.'

Fourth of July had arrived and a parade was currently under way but Tilly refused Samantha's offer of going with a group of her older friends

Fourth of July had arrived and a parade was currently under way but Tilly refused Samantha's offer of going with a group of her older friends. Leaving the 16 year old alone in her house with reruns of The Brady Bunch playing on the television. That was until the doorbell rang. Tilly flung the blanket she had draped over her legs and stumbled to the door, her bare feet padding against the wood floors faintly.

Peeping out through the small looking hole, Tilly smacked her forehead restlessly. No matter what day it was, how many weeks have passed or the months to come, it seemed she could never get a break from them. Yanking the door open harshly, Tilly stared blankly at both figures that stood idly on her doorstep. "We w-were passing b-by and wanted to know if you would like to come with us to t-the Fourth of July p-parade?" Tilly eyed Bill who smiled nervously while Beverly beamed at her cousin.

"No." Tilly was beginning to close the door when Beverly pushed against it in retaliation. "C'mon! You aren't doing anything and the worst way to spend summer is cooped inside." Tilly glared at her cousin, summer break was a time to relax not play around with sewer clowns and hoodlums. "Actually, that sounds like the best way to spend it." Tilly sarcastically shot back as she tried a second time to close the door but again her attempts were halted. "P-please, Tilly?" Bill, this time had put his weight on the door. "Look, if I go- I don't want to see any of you for the rest of the week. Got it?" Tilly was tired of hanging around the losers club, they were nothing more than an annoying, fun, carefree, accepting...

Group of friends.

Tilly inwardly scowled. "Yes! We promise just come with us." Beverly couldn't hide her smile, even tho they were close as cousins both girls weren't close due to their social status. Tilly retreated back towards the living room to switch the tv off, grab her Marlboro's and shoes all the while returning back to the front door. The trio headed down towards the Synagogue on their bikes, a typical transportation among teenagers. "Why are we here?" Tilly questioned as they dismounted from their bikes to tread up the solid white steps leading to a pair of large doors. "Stan's p-practicing his s-speech for his upcoming Bar Mitzvah." Bill answered as he opened one of the doors, letting Beverly and Tilly pass through before himself. All three of them took a seat at one of the pavilions near the entrance. The large room was empty, except Stan, his father and a priest.

Tilly watched as Stan would get so far in his speech before being reprimanded for messing up then having to start from the beginning. It was almost an hour before Stanley was dismissed, a look of relief on his face as he rushed towards the trio in the back. "Lets go before he changes his mind." All four of them rushed out towards their bikes, minus Stan who didn't come on a bike but rather with his dad in his car. "Hop on, church boy." Tilly called out to him while patting the small space on the back of her seat. Stan was hesitant but obliged anyway, placing his legs on either sides of hers while wrapping an arm nervously around her waist. Once everyone was situated, they took off down towards Main Street where the annual parade took place.