Chapter 14- It's Tradition

"Happy birthday Luke and Leia! Happy birthday to you!" Anakin emerged from the kitchen into the dining room singing cheerfully as he trailed his wife who carried the twins 17th birthday cake. It was elegantly decorated. A vintage marble cake, merging the two classics, vanilla and chocolate, decorated with yellow icing, matching the sun. Around the rim and sprinkles by the hundreds coating the plain with a little pizzazz. The finishing touch being the happy birthday message also written in yellow with the twins name after it. Anakin observed the only thing more dazzling was the woman who was carrying it. 

Padmé set the cake in front of the twins on the glass, modern table. Rolling her eyes, with a tiny smile of the corner of her lips at her husbands cheekiness as he sat across from Luke. Padmé kissed them each on the head and went to seat herself begrudgingly to her husbands right.

She still couldn't believe that only 4 months ago her long lost love had showed up at her doorstep after she begged the force to see him again. She should've been more careful what she wished for. Padmé still didn't know how to feel. She hadn't been at ease in 4 long months, well actually 17 years but recently her stomach has been tied up to her throat in knots and it gave her heart a sting whenever she laid eyes upon him which unfortunately for her, was the majority of the day since he'd been out of bed and more in her hair as the weeks progressed. 

Luke had warmed right up to him, ecstatic to have another male to bond with. While her and Leia gossiped and shopped, he'd teach Luke machine mechanisms and force abilities. They tried to make a pod race last week but they went home early as per the demand of his mother, who Anakin didn't tell they were going. Still, Luke soaked in the experience. But most importantly, he was overjoyed to have a father to love him with all his heart and show him the arts of the Jedi. Since that first day he stumbled upon the original Skywalker saber, he's been enamored with it and ever sense, Anakin didn't hesitate to show him as much as he possibly could about the enigma that was the force. Just as Padmé predicted years before, Anakin had looked into his sons sparkling azure eyes that replicated his own with love and childish awe.

 Leia was slightly more hesitant to let him into her life. She was much more guarded than Luke as she always had been. She could talk to Anakin for hours about topics from ludicrous to deep and mind enticing. He'd even sit down and listened to her prattle on about mind numbing politics that he so loathed as a younger man. He'd give her advice and help her through her nightmares that was a trait they shared. In short, she was daddy's princess. 

And as for Padmé herself, she was dying a little bit each day since he came back into her life. Despite her vow to remain strong, set in place 4 months ago, she knew she was falling for him again. It was her destiny to love him as it was his to bring balance to the force. She'd never admit that to him, but she had her suspicions he had figured it out from her lack of distant harshness. She couldn't help it. She loved him... But he wouldn't be here for much longer. He'd be called back to the front someday soon and then all these old feelings that threatened to swallow her in a wave of wishes that could never be attained, would vanish and she could move on with her life without him, as she had adapted to.

"Make a wish you two." Anakin smiled watching his son and daughter as they blew out the 17 candles sprawled around the cake together. The moment was too special.

Finally, Anakin couldn't wait any longer. Padmé had given her presents to them in the morning but Anakin forced them, and himself to wait until after cake. 

Suddenly, Anakin clapped his hands loudly gathering everyone's attention. "Okay that's it! I've been patient for too long i'm going to get your presents!" He chuckled, excusing himself for a moment.

Padmé gave him a suspicious look, she didn't expect him to get them anything. "Anakin, when did you find time for this?"

Anakin smirked. "Remember when you guys went shopping a few days after Luke and I started training?"