eddie's worry

it's been two hours since i've last seen richie. i know he said he'd be over soon, but this is a little much. so, i've decided to bike to richie's house, to just see what's taking him so long. i rode down the street, dread rising in my stomach. i just know something's wrong. i turn the corner onto richie's street, and i see his parents car speed out of the driveway, running over richie's bike in the process. driving drunk, not smart.
i drop my bike in the yard, and trudge up to the front door. it's wide open. so, i cautiously step onto the mold-stained carpet.
no richie. he's not in the living room, his bedroom, the kitchen, or his parents room. so, i slowly open the bathroom door.
there lies richie, in the tub, completely bloody and bruised. a broken bottle lays on the counter, blood dripping from its glistening edges.
tears well in my eyes. the richie i knew, my best friend, the boy i-...
i didn't have time to do this now. richie needed me more than ever. i dug around in the medicine cabinet and found alcohol, gauze, and some disinfectant spray. it would have to do for now. i cupped richie's face in my hands, and pressed his forehead to mine.
"it's gonna be okay," i whispered.
"i won't let anyone hurt you again."
so, i got to work. disinfect, wrap, disinfect, wrap. over and over, each cut and gash. soon, it looked like i had wrapped up all of the cuts, and stopped the bleeding. he was going to need stitches in a few places, but i couldn't do that.
but what do i do now?
i'd call my friends, they'd help me.
in two minutes, bill arrived. he asked to see richie, and threw up immediately after from all of the blood. i helped him up and told him how i found him.
then, ben arrived.
he stared at the ground, and was deeply concerned about the conditions richie was living in.
next, beverly arrived with stan. it was clear they were still hanging out. next to me, i saw bill clench his fists.
when they saw richie, beverly cried and stan walked her out, quietly whispering who knows what in her ear. i could feel bill's jealousy from across the room.
finally, mike arrived, and he thought to bring supplies.
mike brought a few bandages, and some painkillers. it was all he could afford on such short notice.
mike didn't want to see richie, he sees enough blood.
after bringing everyone together, we sat in the living room, and no one said a word. except for beverly, who continued to cry, and stan, who continued to whisper. i think he was saying something in jewish.
what were we waiting for?
i don't know, maybe for richie to wake up and do an impression or crack a joke? but we all knew that wasn't going to happen. he'd be different, and honestly, i'm gonna miss MY richie.
the sweet, dorky, funny, richie i admired and wanted to be like, wiped away in a matter of an hour.
swear to me, richie, that you'll still be you somewhere.
because i love everything about you.