Chapter 6: Play the Game

??? POV:

Hyung is crying still...that wasn't my intention. What am I?

The mysterious man sighs as he pulls out his phone, texts a message and presses send. A moment later, a text tone dings back, and the man snatches the phone to view the reply.

"Why are you doing this?" the text reads.

Shaking his head, the man thinks to himself, I don't know anymore. I don't know what I'm doing, I just wanted to protect Bangtan...but in doing so I hurt someone in the process.

But was he really trying to protect Bangtan, or protect himself? He does not yet know. If he was trying to protect Bangtan, why'd he take the pictures in the first place? And why'd he send them to a fan as blackmail? She could've easily sold them to a news company.

Stupid, you have to be more careful, more calculated. You can't let emotions cloud your judgement. You know how to play the game, so show them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jin's POV:

Laughter emits from the other room, but Jin makes no move to join his members. Practice has just ended, and somehow he's not in the mood for more company.

Patterns form on the popcorn ceiling as Jin attempts to sort out his feelings. He squeezes his eyes shut in pain when one of the designs slowly forms into your face. He hasn't forgotten, even with the absence of the photo. Rubbing his temples, Jin rolls over onto his side, willing himself to sleep away the torment.

Maybe Yoongi was right, it's crazy how Katie is affecting me so much. I mean, it was only 2 encounters, only 2 nights...we don't even know each other. Somehow, he knows Yoongi is not right, because his heart is telling him something different. But I want to get to know you, Katie.

Buzz, buzz, BUZZ.

The phone screen lights up at the first buzz, and Jin's eyes fly open. Groggy, he whines internally and peeks at the Caller ID, almost falling off his bed when he sees it's you. Jin answers in a hopeful voice after fumbling with the phone in his awkwardness.

"H-hello?" he whimpers, nervousness getting in the way of his hope and confidence for the first time in awhile.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In your bed, sleeping:

Stob it.

"Fuck," you swear out loud, realizing you forgot to turn your phone on silent when you went to bed last night. "Who the hell is texting me at this hour? It better be important." You groan and unlock your phone, blood running cold when you see it's from "unknown number".

Oh no, what does he want? I've left Jin alone like he asked...

But that's not what the text message is asking you to do this time.

"Change of plans. Continue talking to Jin." Your mouth hangs open in shock at the words on the screen.

Hastily, you type a message back, "Why are you doing this?"

A reply comes swiftly. "Don't ask questions, or I might change my mind, little girl." You roll your eyes and scoff.

"Little girl? I'm the same age as you," you argue out loud to the wall. Heart swelling, you can't help but to want to call Jin immediately. Searching through your contacts, you remember that you deleted Jin's number. Shit, now I have to get it from this asshole.