three

Jungkook

Jungkook.

"Why are you always on your phone?" his mother asked, her voice tense and strained. He looked up, remembering where he. His parents were introducing him to Kang Yena, the daughter of his father's work colleague.
"Just...checking messages" he stated, before slipping the phone into his pocket.He didn't want them to know that for the past twenty minutes he'd been arguing with himself on whether to wait for Jimin to message him or to text first. Honestly, he didn't really know why it's an issue to him or why he even cared. He just did.

"Well, Yena here was just saying she plays the cello" Jungkook's mother pointed out, looking at him expectantly. He looked back at her in confusion before slowly catching on.
"Oh...that's, um...that's cool" I he said monotonously, his voice trailing off. Yena gave him a wary look before sighing.

"Do you play an instrument?" she asked politely, fiddling with her pin straight hair. She obviously didn't want to be there either. She fidgets a lot, he found himself thinking before shaking his head.
"No, I-" he starts before his mother cut in, a fake smile plastered on her face.
"Jungkook likes to keep to himself, but he does dance" she said proudly. He knew for a fact that she hated him dancing. He could feel his ears go a bright beetroot red as Yena and her mom both looked at him, waiting for him to expand on what his mother had said.

As he if knew the painful situation Jungkook was in right now, his phone starts ringing. The caller id reads 'Taehyung' and Jungkook grins, standing up quickly.
"I've gotta go" he said quickly, grabbing his jacket and skate board on the way out. He was halfway out the door when his mother called out his name.
"Why don't you go with Yena to meet your friends?" she shouted from the front door. He started walking faster, ignoring his mother, and spotted Taehyung waiting at the corner of his road, his bike leaning against a wall and a smile on his face as I approached him.

"You look depressed" Taehyung remarked. He scoffed and pushed Taehyung slightly.
"You don't look so great yourself" he replied, setting his skate board down, placing a foot on it. Taehyung gave him a sly smile and mounted his bike.
"I didn't get any sleep last night" he stated simply. Jungkook frowned at Taehyung's remark.
"Why? What were you doing that kept you up.........ew, Tae! Why do you have to be so disgusting?" he said, wrinkling his nose in disgust. Taehyung just started laughing; his loud, booming laugh that could wake up the rest of the neighbourhood.
"You're too innocent, Kookie. It's cute. Nah, me and Yoongi stayed up playing Monopoly. He's competitive as fuck" he explained, shaking his head, as if losing still scarred him. 

The set off together down the winding suburban road. The town that Jungkook lived was always like this: quiet. No young children lived here, only old grandparents, the occasional family with their bored-out-of-their-minds teenage children. Jungkook hated it, hated the whole suburban peace and the expectation that he would grow up and marry some petite and polite wife and have children in an equally boring and peaceful suburban home.

He wanted an escape and the hyungs gave it to him.

He saw up ahead, the run down park where they hung out, the others huddled in a group by the benches. He could make out Jin in an oversized pink hoodie, linking arms with Namjoon and standing by dark haired and pale skinned Yoongi. He was about to follow Taehyung over to the group when his phone buzzed.
"Let me just check this" he said, turning away from Taehyung. He didn't want Taehyung to see what message he'd been sent or the slowly widening smile on his lips.

Jimin: [image attached]

Jimin: are you up yet?

He couldn't stop himself from grinning as he typed out a reply, leaning against the park railing.

Jungkook: yeah, you sleep in late. Its already 12pm 

Jimin: its still dark where I am

Jungkook frowned at Jimin's new message. He could hear the others calling to him but waved them off, turning his back to them, typing with pale,cold fingers.

Jungkook: you don't live in Korea?

Jimin: no

For a second, thoughts that this was all just a prank, a horrible, cruel joke Jimin was playing on him filled his head with a horrible feeling. He liked talking to Jimin. He was starting to like how his heart had unwillingly skipped  a beat after seeing his picture. Quickly he typed a response

Jungkook: oh, i thought you might

Jimin: can i ask why?

Jungkook: no reason, i'll talk to you later

Jimin: promise?

Jungkook: sure