Unresolved

Bree's P.O.V

Ian! I saw his face behind my eyelids everywhere I looked. His smile, his tears, his teasing, his glare. It was all there. It was like every moment I'd spent with him was being replayed in this moment. Maybe I was dead or dying; I didn't know but I had a lot of regret. I regretted not giving him the chance to love me in the beginning; not trusting him. He had giving me so much happiness in a short period of time and I couldn't believe that it was over. 

They say  when you're about to die your whole life flashes before your eyes but that's a lie. Right now I can only remember the car flipping before the darkness engulfed me. All I saw was a blur but now there was only one person that resonated through my thoughts. I wanted to hold him; to kiss him; to stare into his beautiful blue eyes and tell him just how much he meant to me. God how much I loved him. He was my world and I'd lost it all in a single moment. 

I keep replaying our memories over and over in my head. That cocky grin he'd worn that first day I'd bumped into him in the hall. The way he unconsciously smile when he spoke fondly of his mom or even the way he stare hungrily at my lips when he wanted to kiss. I loved the way his eyes lit up when he was excited or the fire that ignited when he was mad. I missed the tick of his jaw when he was holding in his anger and the huskiness of his voice when he just woke up.

I wanted to see him. I had to. I willed myself to open my eyes; to get up and go search for my long lost love but my body refused to obey me. I fought with myself for what felt like hours but nothing changed. Sometimes I'd imagine his voice. 

"Bree, baby please wake up," he'd say and I'd try to reply but my mouth wouldn't obey.

I'd imagine his caress on my face, his lips on my forehead but no matter what nothing would change. All I would see is the darkness. Then there was a different sound. A familiar one. It sounded so much like my dad but it was strange somehow. He sounded close by but he wasn't talking to me like Ian's voice had; he was talking to someone else.

"She said see wants the desserts to be french," he said. "Yes we're to go with that theme but Mocha Dacquoise Cake, Macarons, Creme Brulee and Creme Au Caramel are a must."

He went down a checklist of every delicious french food known to man and I swore I heard my dead stomach growl. Why was my subconscious torturing me? I reflexively tried to wipe the imaginary drool from my mouth and something smacked me hard in the face. My face stung and I squeezed my eyes together tightly at the pain then it dawned on me.....dead people couldn't feel. I tried with everything I had to pry my eyes open; it took a while but then two dull spot of light appeared before my vision which slowly got wider bringing a hospital room into focus.

I turned my head slightly to the sound of my father's voice and his salt and pepper hair came into view. He was sitting in a lounge chair - lord knows how he managed to force the poor hospital staff to bring that in here - with a coffee table in front of him. He had his laptop on the table complete with a full stack of files while he discussed the plans for the coronation that he was supposed to be in Britain taking care of. 

"Dad?" I whispered hoarsely as hot tears stung my eyes. 

I needed it to be him and not another mirage of my mind. I needed it to be him here right now. He didn't seem to acknowledge my presence though which made me question whether I was really awake or not. 

"Dad!" I tried to shout.

His head snapped into my direction instantaneously and a look of relief crossed his features.

"I'll have to call you back Tim," he said quickly.

"But Sir-"

Whatever Tim had to say was cut short as my dad ended the conference call and rushed to my side. He smiled a huge smile as he petted my head lovingly.