11 ✕ uncontactable hands

the boys ended up attending school for the last few periods, only because they wanted to be marked present.

they paid no attention, as always, not even pretended to, and when the bell rang, they couldn't be happier.

until the teacher called for them. full names, one by one.

they turned around, eyebrows raised at the approaching teacher.

"yes, miss?" jibeom asked.

she peered over her thin-framed spectacles, looking almost glaringly at the three. they swallowed, fingers and feet fidgeting.

"you three," she started in a stern voice, sterner than the one she used in class, "have been playing truant for more than i have fingers — "

joochan scoffed. "it's only three times, miss."

she scowled. "i need to see your parents. all of your parents."

"miss, but i — "

"no buts." she pointed her pen at donghyun. "i've already given you many chances. this is the last straw. tomorrow."

jibeom sighed. "tomorrow what?"

"i'll be calling your parents."

donghyun raised his hand. "my father doesn't have a phone."

"don't be silly, kiddo." she laughed, humorlessly. "your father's an adult."

"that...doesn't have a phone."

she stared at him for a long moment, nodded. "joochan, jibeom, i'll be calling your parents, then. donghyun — "

just then, jibeom's phone rang. he looked over at joochan, showed him the called i.d.: jaehyun. joochan gave him a wave of his hand, gesturing for him to go and take it.

"you are dismissed," the teacher said to joochan and jibeom.

jibeom looked over at her, who started talking to donghyun. immediately after, he slipped away.

"jaehyun... jaehyun?"

"can you...," jaehyun spoke, voice dry and raspy, "bring me home?"

"wha — are you even allowed to? jaehyun, ask the nurse — "

he heard a sob. "please. please?"

i need to stop cliffhanging y'all