12 ✕ missing people

"what happened to you?!"

when jibeom arrived at the hospital, the first thing he saw was jaehyun sitting up right, unmoving, on his bed. ripped out oxygen mask, ripped out i.v.

jaehyun replied in between coughs, "someone... did this... when i was as-sleep."

"then why'd you — no, jaehyun. you need to stay here. you can't go home — "

"i can't afford it." cough. "tell the nurse to let me go."

at the speed of light, jibeom dashed out the room and to the counter, where he submitted his particulars and brought the nurse back.

she checked on him, stared speechlessly at his inner elbow, where his i.v. had been ripped out, pressed her lips together. "as long as the arm doesn't stop bleeding, please call back."

jibeom nodded, dragged jaehyun out of the hospital and back to his home. neither of them talked the whole way, only exchanged glances, quick ones.

when they reached jaehyun's home, jibeom immediately looked for the first-aid kid in a corner of the storeroom. a necessity for people who lived alone.

he took out a bandage, wrapped it around jaehyun's elbow, watched a part of it slowly stain with red.

"it's less than before," jaehyun said, referring to the blood. he smiled at jibeom's worried face. "it doesn't hurt."

"all okay?" jaehyun nodded. jibeom managed a smile, walked over to the speaker by his bed. "want some music?"

there it was; a slight twinkle in jaehyun's usual dull eyes. just like old times, they both thought.

back when everyone was still alright.

"just not too loud," he said after nodding. "my father's asleep."

jibeom paused, stared at him. jaehyun had no father. he had no parents.

the both of them got on a flight and never came back.

he spoke slowly, "you...okay, jaehyun?"

jaehyun looked down, hair covering his eyes. if jibeom didn't look long enough, he would had missed the tears forming in his eyes.

"n-no."

there was a while of silence after that; filled with heartbreak and concern in the heavy air.

jibeom pulled him in a hug, felt his shirt damp up immediately from his tears, but it was okay. as long as he was.

"shhh," he said, patting his head gently. jaehyun never talked about his problems to anyone, he felt bad to have never asked.

"shhh, don't cry too loud." he pulled him in tighter. "you'll wake your father."

by the time jibeom got himself to stand up again, it was evening. dinner time.

"you free tonight?"

jaehyun shrugged, gestured to his house, gave a bitter smile. "anytime."

"wanna go for dinner?"

he blinked. "right now?"

jibeom gave a curt nod, walked out the room. jaehyun took his time to gather his keys and jacket.

jibeom took the chance to look around the place. so many years spent hanging out in the cramped space, but he never noticed the lack of family photos or decorations. maybe because they weren't there.

the only thing worth catching his eye was a note, crusty and yellow, attached to the fridge: leftovers in the fridge. heat them up and have them for dinner.

jaehyun's father's handwriting, dated 2 years ago.