20 ✕ wild rides

"i'm really sorry about your father."

"it's okay," donghyun said with a smile. "you didn't know."

the teacher looked at the boy, eyes filled with pity — no, it was more than that. guilt. she sighed. "i'm here if you need someone to talk to, okay?"

donghyun nodded, watched her walk off. it was the first time he ever felt as if a teacher genuinely cared about him, not just his results or attendance.

maybe bringing her to his father wasn't a mistake after all. she gave him a chance to meet his father despite his inability to bring himself to. after all these months — empty, lonely months — he finally spoke in front of him across the glass panel.

it was a little thing, but it meant a lot.

because of his teacher wanting to complain to his father, though she didn't manage to, donghyun found courage.

it didn't matter that it was for a limited time, under strict security. it was the closest he could ever get to his father who stood behind bars.

donghyun learnt to forgive, finally.

and when he went home, he asked his sister for the first time, what his father had done that was so wrong. she said he stole, but it was for them.

he stole little things — a notebook, a few pens, a little more. they were in need of money, he was in need of a fulfilled future.

he was in need of happiness for his children. donghyun and his sister.

by then, his sister's words started shaking as she swallowed back sobs, as she recalled the days when their father appeared on the news. when her uniform was soaked along with her hair, when her money and food were taken away from her.

when everything and everyone was out to get her, just because of something their father had done.

"i changed your name myself," she confessed, in the midst of breaking down. "i didn't want you to go through whatever i had to."

as donghyun thought back about that very conversation, he felt a tight twist in his heart. subconsciously, he walked, walked, to the cold wall the boys had left alone for days.

"donghyun?"

he looked up, saw the four other boys looking his way. he went forward, stepped up a broken cupboard.

he unzipped his bag, took out a little bottle of yellow spray paint, lighter than the gold one bomin bought.

then, as he felt everyone's eyes on him, he added back the D and H. he smiled to himself as he climbed back down, shoved his hands in his pockets.

"golden child," donghyun said softly, watching closely as each of their faces lit up. "it fits us."

bomin's smile was the widest. "doesn't it?" he asked, a sense of pride overwhelming him.

maybe he wasn't the sole reason they learnt to laugh a day away, but at least his efforts paid off. he was the piece that glued them all with content of life, happiness.

the missing piece.

the ride they got themselves on was a wild one, but maybe that was fine.

maybe, as long as they had each other, their broken minds, broken hearts and all, they would be alright.

they would all be alright.

t h e e n d