18 ✕ first breaths

joochan sucked in a breath.

he had waited long enough. he was going to do it, he was finally going to do it.

with his shaky finger, he pushes three numbers on the telephone in his room: 119.

ring... ring... ri

"hello," he said immediately someone picked up. "i'm calling about a case three years ago, on july seventh... yes, the hong sungseok case..."

every second felt like a minute as he talked. he stared at the ticking clock, as though if he did long enough, time would freeze.

i won't get caught, he reassured himself, as he put down the phone and rushed downstairs with a file in hand.

he turned the t.v. on, making sure to crank up the volume so it was audible throughout the house.

then, with just his phone, his keys, and a file, he headed to the neighborhood police station, where he would settle the case once and for all.

for the sake of himself, his own sanity.

the station was freezing as he entered. he crossed his arms across his chest to keep from shivering. he took a seat, placed the file on the counter.

"i'm the caller of the hong sungseok case," joochan started, slowly so his voice didn't shake.

"name?"

"hong joochan."

the officer turned back to his computer, typing away. the session went like that, engulfing joochan in uncomfortable silence and keyboard clicks.

he couldn't ignore the rush of...something he couldn't describe as he exited the police station. it was as if he learnt to breathe for the very first time.

i did it, the thought never left his head, even as he walked and walked till the station was nowhere in sight.

i finally did it.

joochan couldn't control his smile.

it was nearly seven in the evening when he entered a little restaurant out of his neighborhood. right then, he received a call from his father.

"how many times do i have to tell you to switch off the t.v. when you leave the house?" his voice boomed. still, joochan held his smile.

he checked the time. less than one minute till seven, less than one minute till the news broadcasted.

"you never learn — "

his father fell silent. a vigorous knocking could be heard. the very next words made joochan's smile widen:

"hong sungseok. you are under arrest."

"what — " he was interrupted, again, this time by the t.v. he had yet to switch off.

his own case. the long forgotten case, was now the one the whole nation was watching come back to life.

"jooch — " his father's voice distanced, but he still managed to hear a faint, "son, help."

he hung up. he looked up at the little screen of the restaurant.

"...suspect a will be allowed another chance of trialing to rectify his sentence..."

joochan's phone lit up. he looked down, smile fading a little as he saw the caller i.d.

bomin.

3k !!! thank you so much :,)
+ this is ending soon