Chapter 1 - The Cookout

**HAYES POV**

I'm super excited. My family is going over to Maddie's house for a cookout. Maddie is my best friend, but I have liked her since 5th grade. She's so perfect. Her long brown hair is shiny and soft, plus she has beautiful green eyes. She says she's not pretty, but I don't know how she could think that.

"Mom, when are we leaving?!" I said. I really want to see Maddie. She's my best friend and the last time we hung out was when we went to the park a few weeks ago.

"We are gonna leave as soon as Nash finishes getting ready." she said.

It's always Nash, I went up to my room to grab my phone and when I came back downstairs, nobody was ready so I just left.

**MADDIE'S POV**

The Griers are coming over for our cookout tonight and I'm soooooo excited. I miss hayes, I really do. We are best friends but lately he has been busy with magcon and fans. I miss the days when I could just text him anytime and we could hang out. We've been nieghbors for 12 years. Our families became really close when we moved in and now here we are.

ding dong

The doorbell rang and I ran to get it. It was Hayes.

"Hey Maddie. What's up?" he said, as he pulled me in for a hug.

"So where's the rest of your family?"

"Oh they were taking forever, so I just walked over by myself."

We walked in the backyard and sat down. "Soooo Maddie, what's been happening? I miss hanging out with you." he said, with the cutest smile on his face. "Oh you know, same old, same old. We should hang out sometime, ya know? Just like we used to."

We talked for a while until Nash got really bored and yelled "Let's have a water fight!" He pulled out a huge bucket of water balloons from the back porch and grabbed the hose. Will got some water guns from the porch and we started throwing balloons and spraying each other with the hose.

After that, we were all soaking wet. I'm so glad I wore waterproof mascara. When we went inside our parents just laughed and got us some towels.

"Hey guys let's go watch a movie." my sister suggested. My sister is 16 and has really long blonde hair. She has a crush on Nash, even though they are best friends. We all agreed and went downstairs to the basement after getting dried off. We decided to watch the purge. I got really scared and cuddled up to Hayes' chest.

After the movie, the Grier's had to leave so I hugged Nash and Hayes goodbye.

"Text me, Maddie."

"Okay I will, bye Hayes."

I ran up to my room and changed into some soffee shorts and my old volleyball tshirt. I didn't bother to take off my makeup, since all I really wear is mascara. I texted Hayes goodnight then fell into a deep sleep.