First Exile

Graystar stepped up onto the Highrock, her heart heavy. The time had come for her to make a decision and avenge Mallowheart's death.

One of the conversations she had heard earlier stayed vivid in her memory. I her mind's eye, she saw the warrior's twisted expression, the anger in his face as he so eagerly accused a clanmate for nothing more than the length of her claws. Not to mention that hint of awe she had picked up on in his voice, and his surprise when he had turned around and seen Graystar standing there.

"Clanmates," Graystar called out, though it wasn't needed - everyone was already gathered around, anxious to hear her words. "We are here once again because of the death of our elder, Mallowheart. This death was not an accident. It was a murder from one of our own."

No one reacted this time, except to shift impatiently. This was old news.

"This is why," Graystar pressed on, "the traitor has to leave our clan immediately." She took a deep breath.

"Ratflame... you are hereby banished from the clan. If you ever return, it will be on the pain of death."

"What? No!"

Ratflame was standing up, his mottled grey tabby fur bristling along his scruff and spine. His amber eyes were bright with indignation. "I'm innocent!" he yelled, lashing his tail. "I never touched Mallowheart! I'm telling you, I'm innocent!" The scrawny tom took a step backwards, glancing around at his clanmates. None of them seemed terribly shocked that his name had been called. A flicker of fear darkened Ratflame's expression.

"Please don't do this... I swear, it- it was Longclaw! I know it was! I can prove it!" Ratflame spat, desperation turning to anger as he turned to face the she-cat he'd named. "I'll prove it! I'm innocent!"

Longclaw hissed fiercely back at him, extending her claws.

"Ratflame," Graystar said with a finality in her tone that made everyone stop and look at her. "You will leave now, and you will not return."

Ratflame looked up searchingly at his leader's face for a long heartbeat, but he must not have seen any leniency there, because without another word, the grey tabby warrior turned to walk out of the camp entrance.

He paused to look back at the clan just before disappearing, anger and disbelief set in every line of his face as he gazed at his clanmates. Then he left, leaving a ringing silence behind him.

Ratflame was innocent.

Thank you to everyone who voted last chapter! Day 2 will be coming out soon!