Fifth Exile

The scene outside caused Graystar to stop in her tracks as she emerged from her den. Morningrose, walking right behind her, crashed into the leader and stumbled back with a squeaked "sorry!", but Graystar hardly noticed.

Kestrelberry had been cornered by Iriswhisper, Runningstream, and Honeyrose -- the training team must have returned just recently. All three she-cats seemed incredibly angry.

"Snowsong was our friend," Iriswhisper snarled. "How could you kill her?"

"You should have heard the murderer, screaming his head off after forcing her to eat poisoned prey," Honeyrose sneered, her yellow eyes narrowed dangerously. "As if he couldn't even bear what he'd done."

"No!" Kestrelberry yowled pitifully. He tried to take a step back, but he had nowhere to go; the she-cats had him trapped against the camp wall. "I didn't kill her, I swear!"

Runningstream's amber eyes glimmered with repressed fury. She spoke in a quiet voice that was somehow more threatening than if she'd yelled. "The least you could do to redeem yourself would be to own up to what you've done."

Kestrelberry quailed under her gaze, his tail flicking anxiously as he replied in a wretched voice, "but I didn't do it..."

"Liar," Iriswhisper hissed, unsheathing her claws.

"Maybe you don't deserve to be exiled, Kestrelberry," Honeyrose said coldly. "I don't think that gives Snowsong justice. Why do you just get to walk away, safe and sound, when she's dead?"

Graystar panicked. She'd already made her decision who to exile, and Kestrelberry wasn't it! But if she didn't stop them now, it wouldn't just be traitors with blood on their paws.

She made to jump between Kestrelberry and the three vengeful she-cats -- but Whisperdrizzle got there first.

The grey tom stood with his back to Kestrelberry, his blue-green eyes moving steadily from Honeyrose, Iriswhisper, and Runningstream's gazes. "I'd watch what threats you make while Graystar's watching," he quietly warned them.

Runningstream immediately looked over at Graystar, and seeing the leader watching them with an incredulous stare, she swiftly backed away. Her lowered gaze showed Graystar that she felt guilty for being part of such a disloyal scene. The leader quickly disregarded her, turning her attention to Honeyrose and Iriswhisper, who were both still tense and angry.

"Snowsong deserves justice," Honeyrose informed Graystar. "That can only be done through Kestrelberry's death."

"Can we just kill the fox-heart already?" Iriswhisper demanded impatiently, glaring at Kestrelberry. "We're wasting time."

"No!" Graystar cried, stepping in front of her, even though her way to Kestrelberry was still blocked by Whisperdrizzle. "You've got the wrong cat. We spoke with both of them, and Morningrose and I have decided that Kestrelberry did not kill Snowsong."

A low murmur ran around the clearing. Once again, warriors and apprentices alike were being drawn to watch the dramatic scene unfold.

"What do you mean?" Iriswhisper protested. "He was the only one with her at the time! Who else could it be?"

"You're looking at him," Morningrose told her, indicating the cat still standing between them and Kestrelberry with her tail.

"Whisperdrizzle?" Shademask spoke out, clearly confused.

"But he was on guard duty. We all saw his there. How could he have killed Snowsong?" Smokeflash added.

Graystar looked around at her clan and realized that it would take more than a few statements to satisfy their curiosity (and in some cases, thirst for revenge). She gestured grandly with her tail. "Come, listen to what I have to say," she commanded. Four steps and a bound took her to the top of the Highrock, where she turned to look down at the gathered clan.