Third Exile

Troutstripe was sitting with his back to the camp wall, glaring at anyone who dared to come too close. He carefully groomed the fur between his claws, noticing with slight distaste that there was still some blood between the hairs, despite having washed his paws in the river. He had been doing the same things three days ago after he'd helped to kill Mallowheart, though Graystar had simply walked past him then without a second glance.

Dusk was falling. Troutstripe was nearly certain that this would be his last evening with the clan. Graystar was already walking towards the Highrock to perform an exile, and he'd been found out. The only thing that kept Troutstripe from simply walking out of camp right now without the shame of a public banishment was the possibility that enough cats would believe Echoleaf's doubts about Smallcloud. Which was such a joke! That tiny excuse for a cat was much too timid and clumsy to ever be a traitor. The only reason Smallcloud was still alive instead of Cascadefall was because he'd tripped, and Troutstripe's claws had missed...

The large ginger tom swept his tail and shifted his gaze to watch Graystar. The leader had leapt onto her rock and turned to face the clan.

"Let all those who are old enough to catch their own prey gather here for a clan meeting!" she yowled.

Cats quickly gathered around, many of them shooting Troutstripe mistrustful glances as they sat down as far away from him as possible. Troutstripe's heart sank. That was it for him, then.

Unexpectedly, Lightdream came up and sat right next to Troutstripe without looking at him. The traitor narrowed his eyes. What did the fluffy tom think he was playing at?

Graystar seemed to notice this as well, and frowned, but she quickly shook herself off and looked Troutstripe right in the eyes. "Troutstripe, you have been proven guilty in the murder of Cascadefall, and accused of assisting in the murders of Mallowheart and Pinestep. Do you deny this?"

Troutstripe remained silent, slowly flicking his bushy ginger tail.

Graystar took this as an admittance of guilt. "Then I, Graystar, hereby banish you from this clan. You are to leave immediately without ever coming back. If you are found on our territory after tonight, my warriors will not hesitate to kill you." She stared him down with her amber eyes. "Do you have any last words?"

Slowly, Troutstripe stood, his powerful shoulders bunching under his fur and his claws scraping against the ground. He took a deep breath.

"Your warriors will not be able to kill me, Graystar," he rumbled, "but I'd be interested to see them try."

Then he turned and padded at a leisurely pace towards the camp exit, pausing one last time to scan the faces of his gathered clanmates. "If anyone wants to find me... I'll be fishing." With that, Troutstripe walked out of the camp, leaving Graystar - and his fellow traitors - behind.

It didn't matter that he was leaving. The others would finish the job, and then the clan would be gone for good.

Troutstripe was a traitor.

5 traitors left.

Thank you to everyone who voted last chapter! Day 4 will be coming out soon!