Day 9

~~~

My deepest, deepest, deepest apologies for taking so long to provide this new chapter for you dear readers! I've been working on some things in life and also some behind the scene things... Anyways, I hope you enjoy the new chapter!

-Heather

~¤~

Echolight's mouth opened wide, a yawn escaping her mouth. The sky was dark; all of the cats were asleep.

Except for her, Runningstream, and Iriswhisper. The two of them had volunteered to take Rosepool and Featherwing's spots, as they were too tired to do the night guard.

Echolight let out a sigh, extremely bored. She wished the night would go by fast, so she could enjoy a long nap in her warm nest.

Beside her, Iriswhisper shifted her paws, obviously bored. On the other side of her, Runningstream gazed ahead, her gaze emotionless.

Echolight looked forward as well, trying to focus on the task she had been assigned.

Suddenly, she heard something. A voice, it sounded like. Her ears strained to hear, but the voice disapeared as soon as it had come.

"Did you guys... Hear that?" She whispered to the other two guards.

Iriswhisper shrugged, her gaze scanning the camp, and Runningstream shook her head.

"I didn't hear anything. What was it?" Runningstream asked, biting her lip. She seemed worried.

Echolight was about to explain it, but decided against it. It must have obviously been her imagination: she was sure the other two would have heard it if it was not.

So instead Echolight averted her eyes and instead did her duty and watched the camp. Her ears remained perked, however, for other sounds.

Sure enough, she heard the noise again. She wasn't quite able to determine whose voice it was, although it sounded frantic and scared.

Echolight scrambled to her paws, very certain of what she had heard. Her heart began to pound a bit faster. A cat must be in trouble! Perhaps it was even a traitor!

"Please tell me you heard that," she begged them.

Iriswhisper and Runningstream were paying close attention to Echolight now; and their eyes widened. Echolight was relieved at their reaction, that she hadn't been going insane.

"We need to go investigate that!" Echolight whispered loudly, her heart continually beating faster. The two she-cats nodded, and almost immediately Echolight began to run in the direction of the noise.

Her heart pounded in her paws as they hit the ground, over and over, as she neared the area where she had heard the noise. Her eyes scanned the area as trees and bushes flew by.

After running for quite some time, she suddenly stopped, her heart pounding fast.

She turned around, expecting to see Iriswhisper and Runningstream, but they were not there.

I must've been running too fast, she thought ruefully. They must've got lost. And now I'm all alone...

All.... Alone.....

Suddenly, she was pinned down. Her back was pressed to the ground, and she cried out in shock. She had been so unprepared, that when she was pushed to the ground, the wind was knocked out of her lungs. She struggled to regain her breath as the attacker held her down, their eyes gleaming with hate.