Day 7

Graystar finally rose from her nest and stretched out her protesting muscles. Thanks to her dreaming, she didn't feel rested at all... but she had a job to do, and so she couldn't afford to stay in bed. Her clan couldn't afford it.

The fluffy gray she-cat exited her den, blinking to help her amber eyes adjust to the sunlit clearing. Her gaze swept the camp.

Morningrose was up, already switching out the cats on guard. Rainsong was sent back to the warrior's den after half the night on watch, while Dewpaw was made to take her place guarding the camp entrance.

Smokefern was sitting by himself near the freshkill pile, taking slow bites of a skinny mouse.

Icespark and Honeyrose emerged from the warrior's den while chatting to each other. They continued talking as they crossed the camp to the freshkill pile, barely sparing Smokeflash a glance even when they had to pause their conversation to pick up prey. The two she-cats moved not far off, lied down side by side, and then resumed talking.

Graystar padded forward at the same time Morningrose bounded over in her direction, Featherpath quick behind her. Graystar tilted her head curiously, but soon realized that they were heading towards Smallcloud, on guard at the base of the Highrock, and not her.

"Hey, Smallcloud. You can switch off now, and go get some rest," Morningrose told him.

Smallcloud shuffled his paws together and peered up at the deputy. "Actually... it's okay, I don't feel tired yet. I can stay on guard for a while longer," he mewed. It seemed to be true; his blue eyes were bright and alert.

Featherpath jerked her head back, staring at Smallcloud with wide eyes as though he had some sort of disease. "Did you fall asleep on watch? Is that why you aren't tired?" the ginger she-cat demanded suspiciously.

Smallcloud flattened his ears timidly. "No, I didn't," he murmured. "I just didn't do a lot yesterday, so I'm fine."

Morningrose nodded in understanding. "Alright, that's fair. Come on Featherpath, I'll post you at the warrior's den instead." The deputy beckoned with her tail, and then the two she-cats walked off towards the warrior's den, where Echoleaf was waiting to be relieved from duty.

Graystar wandered over to sit next to Smallcloud. "Do you enjoy being on guard, then?" she asked as she watched Echoleaf spring to her paws and swish her tail gratefully at Morningrose before bounding towards the prey heap. "You don't have to be on watch until you're fading from exhaustion. Echoleaf looks like she has plenty of energy left."

Smallcloud was watching her too. "I know," he mewed. Then he turned to face Graystar and gave her the most cheerful smile he could muster. "But keeping watch is the one useful thing I can do - even with my bad leg."

Graystar's heart melted with sympathy for the injured tom. "You'll always be useful to our clan, Smallcloud," she assured him.

"Thanks, Graystar," the little tom purred.

Then Echoleaf strolled towards them, carrying a vole. She dropped it at Smallcloud's paws and sat herself down right beside him. "Hey Smallcloud! Your leg looks like it's healing well," she meowed by way of greeting.

"Er... yeah, it's getting better," Smallcloud replied.

Graystar smiled to herself and stood, leaving them to talk. But she could still hear Echoleaf say "Look how smooth the scarring is!" even as she walked away.

The leader was intercepted by Tigersplash, who trotted up to her with his head and tail high. "Good morning, Graystar," Tigersplash rumbled. "Is there anything I can do to help you out today?"