VII: Shichi

I awake before Jun, her face tucked against my shoulder.  A slight smile graces her lips, and a strand of her hair has fallen across my chest.

How different she looks with her face relaxed in sleep, the lines I have become accustomed to softened.  I lightly touch one of her curled hands, wondering whether I would have ever had a chance with her had she been raised as the only daughter of the Amachi clan.

Jun's mouth opens in a soundless yawn, and her eyes flicker open as she stretches.  Her lips lift when she sees me staring at me, a thousand words written across her face that she is unable to say.

"I love you too," I whisper, planting a light kiss on her lips.  "We must get up and face another day, Jun."

As if summoned by my words, Rika appears in the doorway, concern creasing her face.  "You both need to arise and dressed.  My father has insisted that Jun accounts the events of last night."

Jun flinches away from me, hands leaping to cover the marks running across her throat.  It is then that I notice the blood staining the skin beneath her nails, reminding me of the scratches that had marred Hikaru's skin.  How much had she panicked in those first few moments?  How much would those memories haunt her?

"Ryuu, Jun, you have to get ready.  My father is upset that he had to delay his arrival at the battlefield to deal with this, and he will not take kindly to being made to wait," Rika says again before throwing a bundle of cloth to Jun.  "You forgot that last night."

She turns and walks away into the other room.  I take Jun's hand and run my fingers lightly across the top of it.  "I will be right next to you.  I promise you will not be alone."

A small smile caresses her lips again, and she runs a light kiss across my cheek before getting up.  I stand as well, gathering a fresh kimono to change into.  With that in hand, I retreat to the opposite corner to give Jun a bit of privacy.

Rika fusses over us both as soon as we join her, her hands shaking slightly.  I can see the lines that fatigue has worn across her face, and I know that she is still shook from the sight of last night.

Jun notes it too, stilling the other woman's hands with her own. Carefully, she touches the back of her hand to her lips before smiling.  Rika's eyes fill with tears, and she wraps her arms tightly around Jun.

"We were both so frightened," she whispers.  "No one knew where you went, and when we found Hikaru, I was not sure if we were going to find your cooling body too."

Sobs warp the rest of her words, and Lady Fujioka clings to Jun's kimono as if it is the only thing keeping her upright.  By the look on her face, Jun looks about ready to crumble into tears as well.

Gently, I extract the lady from her grasp and hold Rika as she continues to cry, running a soothing hand across her back.  Meanwhile, Jun is rummaging on the table where all her papers are located.

When she turns back towards us, she has scrawled words across a page, which Jun extends out to us.  Thank you.

Then she drops it to tumble to the floor and wraps her arms tight around the two of us.  We stand there, allowing the worries and fears of last night drift away.

Rika pulls away at long last, using the sleeve of her kimono to gently wipe at her face.  "We must go," she says.  "Father will not be pleased that it took us this long to answer his summons."

Jun takes her hand as we walk through the halls, playing the role that has begun to come natural.  I linger slightly behind them, noticing how unsteady Rika's footfalls are and how tightly she clings to Jun's hand.