V : Go

Ryuu is talking to Jun when I come in from the gardens.  In his right hand, he is holding a missile, likely the cause of the tension squaring his shoulders.

"What is wrong, Ryuu?" I ask as I approach and place a gentle hand against his back.  "Hello, Jun."

My husband does not reply, only giving the letter to me and continuing his conversation with Jun, who nods in greeting.  The only sign that Ryuu heard me is the feeling of his muscles relaxing beneath my touch.

Tuning out the men, I look down at the letter, noting immediately that it is from Emi, who is still among the Amachi clan.

Ryuu and Sakura,

I thought that I had everything figured out, but I fear that I did not.  The longer that you remain with the Fujioka, the longer the traitor has to decide their next move without fear that you will discover what they are planning.  I fear that they have become desperate especially with the announcement that Jun has taken a wife.  To even consider accusing Lord Amachi without proof would likely bring the retaliation of the Fujioka clan down upon them.

Even so, plans have been set in motion.  Plans that concern me greatly the more I uncover about them.  Be aware that the traitor within your clan is not acting alone.  They have the support of several powerful people, and they will not hesitate to use that support to accomplish what they wish to.  Warn Junichi that our worst fears may be coming to light, and he must be prepared for any action on their part.

And no, Ryuu, I will neither tell you who the traitor among the Amachi clan is nor who they are working with.  In the instance that you return, it would not do for them to realize that you have more knowledge than you should.  The moment that it becomes imperative that you know their identity will be the moment that I tell you all that I have learned.

Until then, watch your backs.  The Fujioka fortress may seem as if it is impenetrable, but I know it to be far from it.  Danger trails on your every step, and it is only a matter of time before it comes creeping out of the shadows.

Ever your humble servant, 

Emi

"Who did you get this from?"  I ask Ryuu, who finally turns from his conversation with Jun.  "I thought that Emi was not sending us letters anymore for fear of the traitor intercepting them."

"Masumo gave me that letter before he left with Fujioka Ichirou a fortnight ago," my husband answers, crossing his arms in a way that tells me that he knows exactly how I am going to react.

As tempting as it is to yell at him, I look towards Jun, and merely say, "Did Jun know about this letter?"

"Yes," Jun says before Ryuu can even open his mouth to reply, "I did.  I came to talk to Ryuu because I was trying to find a way to keep Rika out of danger.  Though, I probably should have talked to you because you are well-trained in figuring out the vulnerabilities present and how to counter them."

"I will help you later.  First, do you mind giving my husband and me some privacy?" I give Junichi a tight smile, and he nods before exiting the room.  I wait until I can no longer hear his retreating footsteps.

Taking a moment to collect myself, I roll up Emi's message and set it on the table next to me.  "Why would you keep this to yourself for two weeks?  I deserve to know something like this just as much as Jun or you does."

The tension of Ryuu's body becomes even more defined.  "It is no longer for you to worry about, Sakura.  You are not the general, and you are not the lord.  I found no reason to concern you with something that is Jun's problem and my problem to deal with."