-Chapter 23-

a/n: not edited yet. sorrrryyyyy

A soft humming could be heard around my apartment. Luke was gently strumming his guitar while singing under his breath. I sat on the settee next to him with my mug of coffee warming up my hands while I watched him. His eyebrows were lower than usual and the top of his tongue was poking out of his mouth as he concentrated on the strumming pattern. 

"We'll never be..." He sang quietly. "...as young as we are now."

My smile grew bigger as he continued to sing.   

"That's beautiful, Luke..." I whispered once he stopped playing. 

"It's just something me and the boys are working on." He bit his lip, avoiding eye contact with me.

I tilted my head to the side while I looked at him. "Luke? Are you okay?" I stretched my arm out so I could stroke his back. 

"I-yeah..." He mumbled while adding an unnecessary cough.

"Luke...stop." My eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"Our band manager called us this morning..."

"And? What did he say?" I asked excitedly even though Luke sounded glum.

"As soon as we release our album we're going on tour." He pressed his lips together and looked down. 

"That's...amazing," I said with a shocked expression painted on my face. I leant forward, placing my mug on the coffee table, to hug Luke.  "I'm so proud of you," I whispered into his ear.

"Gab, we'll be apart for months."

"Oh...right. I'll be fine." I lied while keeping a strong smile on my face even though he was only glancing at me.

"Gabbie, I don't want to leave you." He finally locked his eyes with mine which immediately made my heart fall. His eyes were dark and the rings around his eyes were more prominent than ever. I frowned at him while shuffling back to my seat. 

"I'm not standing in the way of your career, Luke." I protested, crossing my arms.

"I'm not leaving you!"

"Luke! This is your whole life, your big chance. I love you and I know you love me but I'm not gonna let you stay here instead of doing the thing you've always wanted." 

"I want you-"

"-No. What is your problem? Why don't you want to go?" 

"I'm afraid." His voice was wobbly and he appeared to be weak. I had never seen him in such a state before.

"What are you afraid of?"

"Losing you. Messing up my dream. I don't want to let you down, or my parents, or the boys."

"Baby...you have worked so incredibly hard for this. You've been working on that album for...so long. You need to go."

A sigh left Luke's lips.

"I know..."

"When do you go?"

"The album is due to be released in three weeks and then we go the week after."

My throat went dry as he told me the limited amount of weeks we would have together. He had been on tour before, sure, but he hadn't met me yet. His band supported One Direction, just before he met my sister. 

"Right..." I nodded, grabbing my half-empty mug and rushing into the kitchen. I stood over the sink like I was frozen. I was frozen. I tried to remind myself he wasn't leaving me forever, just a few months.