Chapter 28

A/n: lots of speech in this chapter but it all has a purpose but it's also a pretty long chapter since it's been a while since my last update ;-)

"So how is tour life?" I asked Calum while stabbing at my salad. Alfie somehow convinced me to go on a stupid green diet with him where you can only eat green things, hence the title.

"It's so cool. It's an amazing feeling to walk on that stage and hear all those people screaming for your music. The first time the crowd sang our lyrics, Luke actually cried." Calum teased Luke which earned him an elbow to the chest.

We decided to go out to a little American diner for dinner just like we used to. They had the cutest decorations that I used to fantasize about owning even though I wouldn't know where to put them. We had 7 people to seat, thank god for their extra large booths. I was sat next to Calum who was next to Luke and I had Alfie opposite me with the others spreading out across each side.

"Aw, I think that's sweet." I smiled warmly at Luke who, in return, grinned at me.

"Well it would be if I had cried, but I didn't." He shrugged.

"I bet you did." I laughed, shuffling my fork around the plate.

"I can't believe you came to a diner just to eat a salad." Michael scoffed, changing the subject.

"I can't even eat it all. I can only eat the green peppers and the leaves." I dropped my fork with a frown.

"Babe, it's not that bad," Alfie said while stuffing down his salad.

"I didn't want to go on a diet, Alf," I complained to him.

"It's good for you. You would be the size of a house if you continued to eat all that junk food."

"Excuse me?" I scoffed, getting angry at his comment. "What exactly are you trying to say? Are you trying to tell me I'm fat?"

"No, of course not. It's just-you know what? It doesn't matter. We're here to hang with your friends, let's not do this now."

I looked at my friends who were awkwardly eating their meals in silence. I wanted to leave. The old Gabbie would have run out of there and never looked back but I changed. At least that was what I kept telling myself. To be honest, I didn't like who I had become. Alfie made me do things I would never usually do, like go on weird diets and go see operas that I have no interest in. I didn't like any of that stuff but I did it for him.

"Gabbie?" Ashton waved his hand in front of my face, calling my name as he did so. "Are you alive?"

"Yeah," I mumbled bluntly, fiddling with my hands under the table. Everybody's eyes burned into me like lasers.

"Have you found a job yet, Gab?" Luke asked me. I smiled because he remembered I was working towards getting a job to do with photography.

"Not yet, but I feel like I'm actually ready to start selling some of my own pieces."

"What pieces, babe? I didn't know you do photography." Alfie seemed shocked.

"You were there when I took those photos of the sunset," I said, frowning at him. "I showed you my portfolio." My voice slightly trembled as I spoke. Alfie never remembered anything we did together or important things like my birthday.

"Uh," Alfie scrunched up his nose and looked up for a second like he was really thinking about it. "Nope, doesn't ring any bells."

"Oh! I saw that sunset one you took a few days ago on Instagram. It was beautiful." Calum commented.

"Thanks." I fake smiled at him. I wanted to smile at him like I usually did but there was this horrible itchy feeling at the back of my brain.

--