What caused this?!

Jessica stood quiet in the nursing room, her own mind killing her with million thoughts she didn’t want to have. Her shift had ended already, it was late in the night already, but she stood there anyway. She couldn’t find herself to leave.

She had no idea what made her pick up her phone from her uniform pocket, but when she did, she realized the quantity of calls and messages she had.

“Oh dear…” she said.

Jude was supposed to pick her up after her ship. And she never said anything.

She called him immediately

“Hey, Jess! Are you ok?!” He worriedly asked

“Yes. I am so sorry Jude, there is a lot going on that I decided to stay here… I’m sorry…”

“It’s ok…” he whispered “I heard the news” he whispered. She wasn’t sure about his tone “Robert is there?”

“Yes…”

“How is he?”

“I can’t really give information away, Jude, you know how things are…” Jess whispered

“I know, I know. So… I guess I’m going to… go home? Are you sure you can’t come home and get some rest?”

“I can’t, Jude. I’m staying here. Thank you anyway, you’re too sweet”

“Well, it’s ok, hon. Good night, I love you”

She closed her eyes “Good night, Jude”

Jessica hung up the phone and took a deep breath as her colleague entered the nursing room “People are getting to exalted in the waiting room…” she said

Jessica looked at her “Who can blame them…”

“It is horrible…” she whispered “he’s just a twenty four year old boy, my son has that age. I can’t even imagine the grief and sorrow of his parents” she said, sighing

“His parents are there?” Her heart contorted

“Yes, they arrived a few minutes ago…”

Jess looked down, memories of her past with Robert flashing through her mind. It was like everything she tried so hard to put in the back of her mind came back to her instantly.

And his parents, gosh, she knew how their relationship with Robert was the best she had ever seen between parents and children. She could just imagine the panic they were in.

“Oh, Jess?” The nurse turned to her again

“Yes?”

“There is this woman about to check in, heart failure and I need to attend the ER, but Robert’s blood results already came out. Do you think you can take care of that?”

Jessica’s hear skipped a beat “Sure, sure, of course” She stood up and went to the computer.

She went to check out his blood results as the surgery doctor appeared in the room.

“How did it go?!” She asked immediately, the surgery lasted such a long time

“It was really tough, his state did not help a bit.” He took a deep breath “I was able to do some fixing on the mitral valve, but he was in constant heart failure and we didn’t want to lose him.”

Jessica gulped, knowing the seriousness of the situation “I guess you’ll try to stabilize before trying again?”

“As much as it kills me to say, yes.” He whispered