Chapter 16: Goodbye

Loving someone is hard. You would do anything for the person you love. Pour out your whole life and soul for them, but it's all useless when they don't love you back. It's like everything you did for them, they burn it into ashes, letting them fly away in the air, never to be seen again. They take you for granted and never show respect.

As much as I don't want to leave my family and Sara here, I have  to. I can't stand the mere thought of him and that witch he calls his lover together... forever. They'd get to hang out, share their love... be happy... have kids... grow old.

I shake my head, trying to get rid of the thoughts. I fix my classic white t-shirt before walking into his office, which includes him, his mother and father, and the devil herself. I feel his eyes on me the moment I walk in, my flesh burning everywhere he looks. His stare so intense, I don't even look him in the eye.

I look at her appearance before looking away, rolling my eyes.

Why does he even like her? She can't even cover herself to save her life.

"Good morning Lexa. Please have a seat.", the former Alpha, his father, says to me. While James sits in his desk chair, his parents and Ashley all stand by him, making it almost look like a line. I stroll in with unknowingly confidence, and sit in the seat he offered, which is right in front of him.

Fucking fantastic.

There is a long awkward pause before his father clears his throat.

"So I see that you wanted to see us all today, why is that? Is everything okay?" I look into his eyes to see he was genuinely concerned. Of course he is, I'm his son's mate... well was. But then it clicked. Did James not tell his parents that he rejected me?

I hand them my file, requesting that I want to leave the pack. There are a bunch of legal papers, the last page saying that they give consent to me leaving, if they sign the paper. That's why I came here for, their signatures so that I could leave this place for once and for all.

His father takes the file and reads the first page before looking at me in disbelief. His wife becomes concerned and looks at the file as well. She them looks at me the same way. James leans back in his seat, twirling a pen in his hand while looking at me still. I decide to look at him and regret it instantly. We make eye contact, none of us seemingly able to look away, until his father speaks up.

"You want to leave the pack?!" James eyes widen in shock and... anger? He stands from his seat quickly, grabbing the file that was once in his father's hands. He fiercely scans the paper before looking back at me with those stormy blue eyes I once loved.

"Why the hell would you leave?!", he yells, becoming angrier by the second.

"Don't yell at her, she's your mate Damnit!" His mother yells at him, making him pale while Ashley quietly scoffs at this. I clear my throat awkwardly, getting everyone's attention.

Here goes nothing...

"He uhh.. we um.. we are not together... anymore", I announced to them, my voice slightly cracking at the end. I feel the burning sensation behind my eyes, quickly trying to not let my trader tears fall.

Stay strong

His parents turn to him in disbelief, his mother more angry then ever. His looks at me with a glare, as if this was all my fault. Like I was the one who went behind his back and cheated on him.

"What do you mean you guys aren't together anymore?!" She quickly turns to me, sadness now in her eyes, "Did he reject you?!". I look away from her blue eyes, sniffling a bit. This confirmed her suspicions.