The first and the last

He was both her first and last love.

The first time she saw him, he had been nothing but an illusion. An image created by a friend of his. An image created by someone, who loved him as much as she did. At that moment she thought he was beautiful and seemed kind. She hadn't been in love yet. Their first encounter could have been better. It had been embarrassing!

*

She acted tough all the time, as if nothing could hurt her and as if she didn't care about a thing, yet it was all a lie, an act – a good act. Everyone knew that she lived in an abusive household, but no one tried to help her out. She was on her own. Not that it ever had been different – it was the only way of living she knew. As far as she could remember there never had been a time at which she was save. Only one person gave her security and educated her. So, she was able to read and write, do simple math and understood the principles of economy. Such knowledge was quite helpful. Unfortunately, she hadn't had many chances to use or improve it in her home village. The village was too small and isolated. As long as her uncle was alive, he could support and practice with her, but without him things would get harder. Somehow she would managed, she told herself.
With her reading knowledge she was able to read a few medical books, which her uncle had given her, and therefore learned how to heal – at least a little bit. With the little bit of mathematic knowledge she was able to save money, which she then saved up for her own sake – one day she would leave this godforsaken place and live a peaceful life! This knowledge was helpful when she met a stranger called Judar. Judar was the key that set her journey into freedom into motion. He was at fault for her falling in love and she was thankful for that.

When she first met him, he acted like he knew everything and was the strongest, but pretty soon she saw through his act. Years ago he had been kidnapped by a crazy cult and was used – abused – by them to take over the world – or better said to destroy the world. Now he was back in his home village and decided to help the people there to rebuild it. The village was poor and the people there had a hard time with their harvest. For some unknown reason the soil around the village was of poor quality, which made it hard to grow food there. Furthermore, most of the villagers were older people, who lacked the strength to work on the fields all day. Judar wanted to help, because he felt responsible to a certain extent. If he had never been born, if he had never been born as a magi, the people wouldn't had to suffer like this. She felt sorry for him. Of course, it was not his fault and no one besides himself was blaming him for what had happened so long ago. She decided to help him out. Why? Well, she didn't know, it just felt right to offer her help. A friendship blossomed between them. He was the first to listen to her and who understood her.
One day he brought a noble to the village to help with the field work, surprisingly the noble was not bad – a crybaby and useless for anything else, but he was useful on the fields and this was all that mattered. She, on the other hand, used her medical knowledge to help the elders to get better – whatever had happened years ago had also caused a huge damage to the people here. Since she wasn't omniscient, she needed the wisdom of the older women to make the medicine. The time she spent with Judar and his people made her smile, made her forget what awaited her at home. For the first time in a long while she felt good, needed, useful and at peace. Moreover, she opened up to Judar, although that guy acted rude and like he didn't care. They were pretty much alike in this regard. Not that she would admit something like this out loud. Differently than him she was empathetic and tough – at least in her dreams. Denying their similarity was hard and useless, yet it had something amusing. She had a strange sense of humor.

Judar also opened up about his past and his inner thoughts, his feelings about his past and mostly about his king and only friend, with whom he was about to conquer the world or at least take back what had been stolen from them – that guy sounded like an asshole, just like Judar – and thereby her love story was set into motion.