Contrasts

It was pretty seldom for him to leave his room. Normally he spent all his day in his room over various documents. He regretted his past and what he had done, so now he wanted atone for his "sins" by dedicating his life to his work. Besides the meetings with Hakuryuu and Kougyoku to discuss the further approach of the development department, he had no other social contacts. Well, sometimes he visited the workers of the development department, but most of the time it was either Hakuryuu or Kougyoku, who gave them their orders and overlooked their work. His job was to think of improvements or complete new deceives, which may be produced and sold under the name of the Kou Company. Yes, he had attended Hakuryuu's and Kougyoku's weddings, but those two events where the only one he had attended outside of his work related meetings with them. He knew that both already had children, but he had not interacted with their children yet and he had no intention of doing so. His guilt stopped him. He had no right to be with them and play family. Although he had to admit that he felt a bit lonely sometimes. Whenever this feeling became too strong, he took a stroll outside. During his stroll his mind often was empty and he could appreciate the nature around him without interruption. When his mind wasn't empty he thought about how things could be, if he had acted differently in the past. But this thinking was endless. There were so many possibilities and so many unknown factors that it was impossible to come to a realistic and satisfying conclusion. Also such thought just made him more depressed, which didn't stop him to still have them. Maybe he was a masochist?

Today was a wonderful day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, it was warm and the flowers blossomed in all colors. A day out of a book. He walked on a small path, which connected the palace with the nearby forest. It was a mostly unknown path. Only a handful of people knew it existed and even less used it. Therefore it was the best place to be alone and not be found. Hakuren had shown him this side path, so for him it was not just some kind of haven, it also was a place filled with beautiful memories. Despite it being such an important place to him, he barely visit it, because he was too busy with his work and feeling guilty. Did he even have the right to be here after all he had done and not done? Probably not, but there was also no one, who would stop him.
While walking down the path without paying attention to his surroundings, he was suddenly brought back to reality, when someone bumped into him. Confused he turned around, but saw no one. Had he just imaged it? No, he was sure he had felt someone! Slowly he turned his gaze downwards and actually he saw someone on the ground. It was a small child with black hair, blue eye, a mole on its chin and at the end of the brows were twisted. He had never seen the child before, but it must be one of Hakuryuu's children. But why was the young boy here and where was Hakuryuu or his wife? Angrily the boy grumbled something and tried to get up on his feet again. Obviously he had not paid attention and run into Koumei. It was a little shock for him, when suddenly another person was there. His father had taken him on a little stroll and it was nice to have one, when no one else was in his way. It made it easier for him to run around freely and his father wouldn't worry so much about him running into someone else. Who could have known that this still happened? That was unfair! Also it had hurt. Who dared to be in his way anyway?
When he looked up he saw the face of an unknown man, which scared him. He was not a brave child and was easily scared, especially by unknown people. Who knew what this man wanted to do now? Where was his father? He hadn't run to far away from him, right? Koumei, on the other, wasn't scared, but felt a bit helpless. Until now he never had to interact with children, so he was lost regarding what to do next. Should he say something or just leave? This boy definitely was Hakuryuu's child, thus Hakuryuu must be nearby. Should he search for his younger cousin and tell him where to find the boy or should he take the boy with him? But this would probably cause problems, since the child didn't know who he was and Hakuryuu had surely taught his kids to not go with strangers. Fortunately before he had do make any decision what to do, a familiar voice was heard. Hakuryuu indeed was near the two and when he saw that his son had run into Koumei, he went over. The boy was pretty delighted to see his father and as soon as he was on his feet again run towards the adult. Koumei was also quite delighted to see Hakuryuu, because now he hadn't had to do anything. However his delightfulness was gone as fast as it had come, when he looked into Hakuryuu's face. It was astonishing how much Hakuryuu looked like his older brother Hakuyuu. Not like a copy, like he had looked like for some time, but still way too similar. Well, honestly all his cousins looked very similar. If it wasn't for the scar, one could really think Hakuyuu had returned from the dead – or never had died in the first place. Oh, how much he wished the latter would be the case. Things would have been so much easier with the former crown prince around. Their family would have never fallen apart like they had, if he were still with them.