Jack-O-Lantern

A new twist to the old tale~

After a few hours of Trick-or-Treating, having been sticking near a random group that was going from house to house, the sky was dark and clouded, many small children having their baskets' fill and readying to home.

Looking down into you're not quite yet full sack and humming, deciding to hit a few more houses before turning in for the night.

After all, All Hallows Eve only comes once a year. Something anyone in their right mind will take advantage of.

Adjusting your costume slightly you turn down another brightly lit street, bag at your side and ready to swoop up some last goodies. 

At first everything seemed normal, a few parents and children walking past you, only until halfway down the winding street did you start to notice the lack of childish laugher. 

If fact, all around you was silent. Save for a few 'Spooky Sounds' animatronics in peoples' yards.

A little suspicious you spin 360, every house still had their porch lights on, every yard covered in Halloween decorations and styrofoam headstones, a few bowls of candy left awaiting Trick-or-Treaters new the doors, everything seemed perfectly normal, except for the little fact that you suddenly were completely alone.

You wait for a moment, still and listening; unsure whether you should take advantage of the unattended candy bowls or high tail it.

New music seems to surround you, a catchy little tune steadily growing louder. You can't quite place the song, but it's definitely upbeat and Halloween. You look for the music's source but it seems to be coming from no place, as if it is circling around you itself.

Then it's coming from behind. "What the..." you mumble before turning to it.

No longer so alone, but even more confused. A floating pumpkin, larger than you've ever seen floats a few feet in the air, a giddy face carved in front as it shines brightly, a few smaller floating Jack-o-Laterns spinning near it.

Maybe the oddest part is the boy sitting cross legged on top of the large pumpkin.
His outfit was not quite 'vampire attire', his hair long and tied with a ribbon, oval glasses and his lips ruby red, smiling with glee and surrounded by floating candles, he chuckled happily while the pumpkin floated down the street, twirling around with careless ease before noticing you standing in the middle of his path.

He gave a little look of surprise seeing you, his mouth forming a little 'o' as he came closer, as if he didn't expect to see you either, especially the fact your eyes followed him as his pumpkin floating a circle around you before your speechless shock ended.

"What in the hell?" you decided was the most relevant phrase.

The boys eyes widened, nearly falling off his pumpkin, astonished when you spoke.

"You can see me!" he laughs loudly in amazement, eyes wide with radiant joy.

You cock your head "Well yeah I can see you, but what and how are you doing....that" you step back and gesture to the floating pumpkin while he watches you astonished.

He shakes his head quickly, taking him out of his thoughts when watching you
"The name's Jack!" he spun his pumpkin around you "but dear creature, I don't understand why you can see me" he says sounding genuinely confused

"What do you mean 'why I can see you'? You're floating down the street on a pumpkin, no one wouldn't notice." you realize the situation before adding "If anyone else was here that is."

"But my dear," you raise an eyebrow at him "-of course no one else is here, they're all in the human realm. " he taps his chin

"Which is exactly where you should be." he adds whilst giving you a look that reminds you of a confused puppy, scrunching his eyebrows cutely. "Quite the anomaly indeed..." he murmurs trailing off.