Bright Lights ~ Aqualad

Back by popular demand. Lol naw not really.

This is set in the 1950's, and I'm kind of improvising here, so excuse the weird language.

-------

The carnival was supposed to be the grandest in all of California. Dick was so very eager to see it, so naturally, the rest of the Team went with him.

"Hey, yall," Wally began, his hands stuffed into his pockets. "Wouldn't ya look at that dime over there?" There Kaldur saw her. She was swinging from rope to rope, her silhouette outlined by the spectacular lights surrounding her. So suddenly, she let go of the rope, caught by a net underneath her. 

 Artemis elbowed him as soft as she could without hurting him. "Talk to her," Kaldur gave the younger girl a nod walking off to do just as she said.

"Hello." Kaldur began, grasping the girl's attention. "I couldn't help but notice you swinging up there." She gave him a nod, a smile dancing amongst her lips. "Thanks,"

"So, what would a girl with such beauty as you be named?" Before she could answer, someone did it for her. "(Y/N)!" A man roared, his voice carrying throughout the carnival. "Spectacular job! If only your brother could do as well as you."

(Y/N) glanced at a scrawny boy, around 14 years old. "Jack's learning, give him a break." The large man waved her reply off, turning to Kaldur. "Now, who might you be?"

Kaldur shook the man's hand, "The name's Kal. I was just talking to (Y/N) here."

"Splendid! Well, I'll leave you to it then. I saw a pickle on a stick with my name on it anyways." Kaldur forced a smile, trying not to show his confusion. The man left as (Y/N) and Kaldur continued their conversation. "Who was that?"

"Everyone around these parts calls him Big Daddy." (Y/N) said, looking up at Kaldur once again as he nodded. "So, what a handsome fella like you be doing here?"

"I'm with some friends," Kaldur answered shortly. "Would you like to join us?" 

A smile lit up (Y/N)'s face as she nodded. "Of course! Let me get changed really quickly, and I'll meet you back here?"

"Sounds like a deal," Kaldur replied as she then ran off hurriedly. In a matter of minutes, she was back, dressed in a simple blue short sleeve shirt and a white pair of high waisted shorts. "I'm back!"

"Great," Kaldur said, extending his arm out for her to hold. They soon joined back with the Team, where she was greeted by everyone with open arms.

Soon enough, they began walking around the carnival, the spectacular lights and attractions surrounding them like the sea as they enjoyed themselves. Kaldur's arm was slung around (Y/N) as they overlooked the ocean, the waves drowning out the noise behind them. "This won't last. It can't."

"Don't be so blue," (Y/N) said, looking up into Kaldur's green eyes. "Enjoy it while you can." A small smile danced on Kaldur's lips as he gave her a soft kiss. When they parted, (Y/N) began to retract from Kaldur's arms. They made eye contact once more before (Y/N) spoke her last words to him. "Goodbye, stranger." 

Then, just like that, she was just another bright light.