Chapter 3

Stage 3 was officially over, finishing the 104th Trainee division. The leaders were taking the time to decide who was able to continue and choose a course and also decide who the top ten were. In the meantime, while the leaders sat in Commander Erwin's office, the cadet sat in the cafeteria, discussing who they thought would go where.

"Mikasa is definitely going to be number one. For sure." Jean neighed.

Reiner gave a genuine laugh, patting Jean on the back. "Keep dreaming. My bet is on (Y/n)."

"What!? Mikasa is far more skilled! We've seen more from her!" Jean retaliated.

"So? (Y/n) just hasn't shown her true potential. Just wait."

"Yeah, yeah. We'll see."

Mikasa just glanced in your direction, smirking. "Idiots aren't they?" You nodded, a smirk also playing on your lips. "Well, (Y/n). If I do happen to come in second to you then I wouldn't be upset. Just as long as I'm higher than Annie."

"Likewise..." You spoke ever so softly.

Mikasa fully turned to you, taking in your single word. "I'm honored that you chose to speak to me."

"Sometimes a simple nod can't respond to a statement, but I choose my words wisely." You said, watching the boys bicker between each other.

Mikasa nodded. "Agreed. Oh, I wanted to tell you... I assume you know, but Eren is mine. I've seen him talk to you so I just wanted to clarify."

"Of course. You don't have to worry." You said, looking to Mikasa with a genuine smile. She smiled back, obviously pleased with your response.

"Oi! Quiet down!" Shouted Levi as him and the other leaders entered the room. "Everyone will gather outside to hear the results. Now!"

~

It was raining. Not a heavy rain. It was more of a light drizzle. You stood in rows, all saluting to the leaders in front of you. Erwin looked over the papers in his large hands before clearing his throat. "I will now announce the cadets who will not be making it through. When or if your name is called, leave and pack your things."

One by one, cadets stood in fear that their names would be called out. You could tell by the people who were left that it was important to them that they didn't leave. As names were called, out of your peripherals, you could see the disappointed looks on their faces. They would nod and give one last second to salute before leaving to go back home, wherever they lived. It was definitely hard. Harder than you would think, but you didn't let it phase you. You were ready to see how you did. More than ready. You knew you did well and it was important to you that you enter the Scouts. You wanted to prove that you were good enough to everyone without showing your true self. Though, it didn't seem like that's what you wanted. So far, all the attention you've gotten has made you uneasy. You didn't like all it on you. That would hopefully change though. All you wanted was to make the leaders proud, and who knew? Maybe you could see the world while you were at it.

Names had stopped being called out and there was just silence. Erwin scanned the group of cadets that had all managed to make it through and he smiled. "Congratulations. You all have passed. From this point on you are true cadets." Erwin spoke.

Levi cleared his throat, stepping forward. "Now, it is time to announce the top ten." Everyone stood still as the water began to pour down a little harder. "In tenth, Sasha Braus." Sasha smiled, jumping into the air. "In ninth, Connie Springer."

"What?!" The young boy shouted.

"In eighth, Marco Bott... In seventh, Jean Kirstein."

The two boys jumped in the air, hugging each other.

"In sixth, Eren Yaeger... In fifth, Annie Leonhart."

Both you and Mikasa smirked.

"In fourth, Bertholt Hoover... Such strange names... Tch... In third, Reiner Braun... In second place..."

Levi froze, letting all the extra cadets wait in agony to hear whether or not they made it. He repeated himself, "Second place goes to..."

'Who captain? Who is in second?! Tell us!' you thought to yourself.