Chapter 7

A knock was heard at Levi's door. Levi growled in annoyance as the people announced their presence.

"Erwin Smith and Hanji Zoe, just to go over a few things."

"Tch, come in," Levi said, loud enough for them to hear.

As they entered, they froze as their eyes fell upon you. You didn't let their reactions phase you so you just continued eating. Erwin looked to Levi and tilted his head. "She's still working?" Erwin said as his gaze was drifting back towards you. He smiled a bit as he saw you enjoying the food stuffed in your mouth.

Levi squinted at Eyebrows as he recalled your words.

"He's quite charming."

Levi shook his head at the thought. "Disgusting," he whispered to himself.

Erwin took notice to his comment and glanced in Levi's direction. "Hm? What is?"

"Oh ah... She's stuffing her face. She'll get constipated if she keeps it up."

Your eyes widened and you looked down at your food, gulping down what was left in your mouth.

"Aw, leave her be Levi," Hanji said. "Let her eat how she wants. She's probably starving after working for you."

Levi just glared at them. "What do you want?"

"We were going to discuss the first mission outside the walls with our new cadets." Said Hanji. "It's not a big one, just that we were going to explore different herbs and plants for medicines."

"And why are you discussing it with me?"

"We want your help guarding us, along with Cadet (L/n)... Erwin and I discussed it and we decided you two would be a good power couple." Hanji smiled.

"Professionally, that is," Erwin stated, a slight smirk pulling at his lips.

Hanji nodded, "Ah, yes of course." She too smirked a bit.

Both you and Levi's eyes widened and you looked at each other. Levi opened his mouth while you waited for what he had to spit out. "Why would I want to work with this shitty brat?"

"Like you're any better, you dwarf." You retorted.

Levi stood, slamming his fists against his desk. "What did you just say? I swear to god, I'll put you to even more work!"

Erwin and Hanji giggled together, watching the two of you go at it, bickering. Erwin clasped his hands together, creating a slapping sound. "Perfect. Then it is settled! As of now, you two will be comrades, only when on missions though. You are still a cadet, (Y/n). You have a long way to go."

"Yes, sir..." You squeaked out.

Erwin pouted out his lower lip. "Aw, don't sound so sad. It'll be fine. You two will get along one of these days."

"Doubt it," Levi said.

Erwin and Hanji left the two of you alone in Levi's office where you sat quietly, looking at your tray of food.

"Tch... Great, just great." He said as he placed his pointer finger and thumb over the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "Well, I'm not going on a mission with you unless we've trained together. No way am I going to be partners with an incapable brat."

You bit the inside of your cheek, wondering whether you should speak and retort but you decided not. That's what he wanted.

"What, no comeback?" He asked, tilting his head.

You shook your head with a smirk, setting the tray beside you.

"Well, it appears we will have to spend quite a lot of time together so just try not to get in my way and things will be fine. Now come, it's still morning so let's go train before it gets too hot."

"Fine, just as long as you aren't a pain in my arse." You spoke, glaring at Levi as he stood, walking towards the door. Levi turned and furrowed his brows at you.

"Don't push my luck, (L/n)..."

You stood and paced towards the door, walking right by him with your tray in your hands. He glanced at you as he shut his door with one hand, his tray in the other. He had caught up to you while walking and your feet began trailing instep.

Left foot.

Right foot.

Left foot.

Right foot.

Together, side by side. Not a single word was said between the two of you, but that was fine. The halls grew quiet as you passed other cadets. Each of them giving you a strange look as you strode by with Levi, your superior. "Don't pay any mind to them," spoke Levi. "You're fine."

You nodded and continued walking, not letting their judgemental stares make you uneasy. You were a nervous person, honestly, so it was no surprise that any attention towards you would bother you. But why did Levi care? Was he trying to comfort you in some way? Was this his way of being nice for once? Other than back when he fixed your bandage but even then he was a jerk... I mean look where it got you.

You lightly traced your hand over your bandage as you thought about it. Before you knew it, you were both in the cafeteria, putting your trays away.

~

The sun was bright but there were still clouds out and about. Since it was morning, it wasn't too hot, leaving a cool breeze for you and Levi as your fought. "Stand up straight, no hunching over. It's bad for your posture." He said as you got in your fighting stance. "Lower your hands a bit. They're too high." He added on. "Good now, on my go, come at me with everything you've got. Okay?"

You nodded, leaving him to not back. "Go!" He shouted. You lunged at him, full force. He quickly moved his body to the side, letting you stumble as you missed him. You spun back around in his direction, taking notice of him lowering his body. His right leg swung below you and you jumped just in time for him to miss you. As you landed, you forced yourself to him once more as he recovered from his kick. He obviously wasn't ready for you so when you reached him, you both went falling. Him backwards while you were on top of him. As you fell, you quickly wrapped your arms around him. One hand was around his waist while the other cupped the back of his head so he wouldn't hurt himself on impact with the ground. A loud thump echoed through the area as you both stayed there a moment. Your head was on his chest. You looked at his face as your hand was still supporting the back of his head and his expression was stoic. What's new.

"Sir, are you alright?"

"Why'd you support my fall. You should have just let me get hurt."

"What?" You asked, dumbfounded. "I-I was just trying to protect you. If we are going to be partners then we should be alert of each other in bad situations..."

You unconsciously cupped the back of his head slightly harder, and you removed your other hand from his waist, laying it on his chest. He just looked in your eyes while in thought. "Good answer..."

He began sitting up, you still on him. As he rose, he wrapped his arm around you to support your body as he moved and you sat up with him. Your legs were now on both sides of his thighs, cradling them as you sat on his lap. You looked down at the situation and your cheeks began to warm up. "Sorry, let me move out of your way." You said as you removed yourself from his lap. He didn't say a word, just watched as you got up. He looked up at you and furrowed his brows before standing up himself.

"Tch..." He said as he wiped the dust off of his pants. "You didn't do too bad today. You could lose the sass but other than that you've been pretty good. I expect that from you from now on too."

"Maybe I'll listen to you when you grow an inch."

"Tch, I've got no more room to grow. These are the only pants that'll fit in the correct places." He retorted.

"What's that supposed to mean?" You asked, furrowing your brows at him.

"Exactly how it sounds."

You covered your ears and walked in the direction of Headquarters. "Gah, don't talk like that."

"Tch, just go get ready for lunch."