The Guardian Vampire - 9

Since they had book the flight so last minute, all of their seats were scattered. Tara currently sat in between an older business woman and Ethan. He had temporally switched seats with Jade so he and Tara could talk of where they were going. Tara was now in charge to make sure the young vampire, Jade, didn't eat half the passengers on the plane. She'd be fine for now. Knowing that it was too risky to talk out loud, Tara reached for Ethan's hand. Any human would think she was just frightened of flying and needed to keep hold of his hand. She began to speak to him through her mind, something they did often. 

'So, why California?' Tara thought to him.

'It's the only place we could think of that Aidan wouldn't look. It's too sunny and risky.' Ethan thought back. 

'Won't he just follow our scent to the airport and know that we left on this flight?' Tara thought, worried. 

'I put a sealing charm on our scent. With the help of my book I snatched back from him.' He thought. Tara glanced over at him and saw the proud look on his face. 

'Okay, I trust you. I'm taking we have a contact in California? Wait...' Tara thought, trailing off when she remembered what was in California. 

'The Duefrey family.' Ethan confirmed before releasing Tara's hand and going to take his seat back by Lara. 

The Duefrey family was one of the strongest wazarding families in the Unites States. Tara had only met them once, but they had seemed so reserved. She was surprised they were going to help vampires, demons, and humans. She supposed Ethan and Jariths wizarding background was a big reason why. Not to mention Lara bein the last Alden in her line. The Alden blood line used to be just as strong as the Duefrey's. Tara felt Jade come to sit by her and she smiled at the girl. 

A couple hours later the pilot advised the passengers that the plane would be landing in five minutes. The seat belt sign came on. Tara glanced over at Jade and was happy to see that she had done so good throughout the flight. The temptation of warm blood used to drive her crazy when she was a young vampire. She admired Jade for that. 

A few minutes past before she and the others were off the plane. Tara felt the change in climate right away. The moisture and all the sounds. LAX was one noisy airport and it was packed with people. Their group kept getting lost so Tara suggested some of them hold hands at least until they got outside. Tara took Nate's hand and offered to carry Alex, but he was fast asleep in Ashley's arms. Ashley insisted she was fine. They had her walk ahead of them. 

"If you wanted to hold my hand, you could have just asked me." Nate said with that annoying cocky grin on his face. Tara let go of his hand as they got outside. 

"Your hand burns like holy water." She winked and watched as Bailey and Ethan waved down some cabs. 

They got two van cabs and since Bailey and Ethan were the ones that knew where they were going, they got in the front of either cab. Tara, Nate, Cam, Ashley, and Alex hopped in the one Bailey had gotten into. The cab with Ethan in it had Jarith, Jade, Lara, and Norah. Bailey gave the driver the address and the driver nodded and punched the address into the GPS system before taking off. Tara sat in between Nate and Cam, Ashley and Alex sat in front of them. 

Tara remembered as she first met Cam, when he caught her. She found herself wondering what kind of demon he was. She had felt an electric shock down to her bones when he touched her. It wasn't anything romantic, but it wasn't unpleasant. And he had called Nate his brother. Were they really brothers? Curiosity won over and she felt safe that they couldn't be heard from the driver, but kept her voice low. 

"So, what exactly are you? I mean I can tell by your little horns up there that you are a demon, but what kind?" She blurted out, looking over at Cam. She watched as he looked over at her and ignored Nate's chuckle. 

"A demon is correct. I'm not surprised you can see my horns. Only those close to death can admire them. I understand you're a spirit guide and a guardian of vampire souls?" Cam said, giving her a short nod. 

"Yeah I guide both humans and vampires. That doesn't answer my question though." She said, getting annoyed. Nate chuckled again and Tara glared at him before turning back to Cam. 

"Ah, guardian. I meant not to annoy you. I'm a protector Demon. Unlike Nathan, I wield electricity. Other than that, my brother and I are the same. I have the horns as punishment." He added with a light shrug.

Tara took in what he said and nodded slowly. Electricity. That's why she had felt that. The way he talked about his horns made it seem like he hated them very much. In fact, you could tell he tried to cut them off by the scratched on them. She felt bad for getting annoyed with him. Before she could apologize, she felt Nate's anger before he even spoke. His blood was probably still strong in her body, otherwise she wouldn't have felt that. 

"So the council sent you because they thought I was failing? That's flippin' stupid. Sure I'm somewhat new, but come on. I think I've been doing a good job. None of them have died." Nate seethed. Tara placed her hand on his to try and calm him. He had raised his voice and she looked to the front to make sure the driver wasn't listening. Bailey heard and I heard her ask the driver if she could turn on the radio. He nodded and music began to tune them out. 

"That's not why they sent me, Nathan. They sent me because they sensed more people added to the group." Cam said calmly, looking to Ashley and Alex. 

"Why does the Otherworld council want us to be protected?" Tara asked, realizing she had never asked Nate that before. 

"Some thing they saw in the crystal ball. Apparently this group is the only one who can stop Aidan and his growing numbers." Nate said. 

"Oh. Well we should be fighting him, shouldn't we?" Tara asked, biting her lower lip lightly. 

"Your group must first get stronger and recruit. Aiden is still recruiting as well. We have time, do not worry." Cam said, touching Tara's shoulder meaning to comfort her.  

Tara felt it again. That electricity. It was nice, but also made her feel funny. She felt Nate tense next to her and found it very cute as she felt a small hint of jealousy flow through her. The blood they had shared would not hide anything from her. To ease him, she laid her head on his shoulder and smiled. She felt the blood warm and him relax. She did the same. Exhaustion from the fight finally winning over, that and the sun would be coming up in an hour.