The Guardian Vampire - 13

Giving a blank piece of construction paper to Bailey and Rayne, Tara got up and went in search of Nate. Alex was happily coloring with Norah, Bailey and Rayne so he didn't protest when she left the table. She could smell him near the backyard. She followed his scent and walked towards the sliding doors in the back of the house. As she opened the door, the smell of the ocean mixed with Nate's spicy like scent hit her. 

Tara wasn't surprised when her fangs elongated slightly. That scent would always remind her of when she fed from him. Although she wasn't hungry, the thought was exciting. She walked along the deck that led to the private beach in the backyard and finally saw him sitting on the sand, facing the ocean. She took a seat next to him and looked out to the ocean. It was beautiful at night. Dark and mysterious. 

"Hey." Tara said, still watching the ocean. 

"Hey. How are you feeling?" Nate asked. Tara sighed and closed her eyes, letting the mist of the ocean wash over her. 

"I'm fine. No harm done as long as we can find a way to stop the curse. Or at least stop Ashley's curse." Tara said, opening her eyes again. 

"What makes you think her life is worth saving more than yours?" He asked quietly. 

Tara turned to him and admired his features in the dark. His playful smirk was no where to be seen and instead he looked as if he was thinking about something very important. She missed seeing that playful smirk or the cocky grin. She then remembered when he had kissed her and their lips didn't quite meet. He made her feel things she didn't think she could feel ever again. 

"She's human, she's pure, she has so much to live for and Alex needs her. I'm a vampire, a monster, not pure at all, I don't have much left to live for, and nobody needs me." She told him with a light shrug. Tara had turned away and missed the look of need that Nate shot her. 

"You're right. Let's just let Tara give up because nobody needs her." Nate said, standing up suddenly. "Very selfish thinking, Tara." He said, turning to walk back towards the house. 

Tara moved quickly to stand in front of him. He wouldn't have been able to take another step. She saw the fire in his eyes, but she ignored it. 

"Selfish? How is it selfish of me to save a human life? Do you think I want to die, Nate? I don't want to die, but everybody dies. I've lived for far too long, alone because of what I am. You have no right to call me selfish." Tara said, glaring at him. "I deserve to die and I'm not just saying it because I'm suicidal or anything because I'm not. I'm a guardian now so obviously I've been forgiven, but if I can save a life in the process well even better. Now, why am I selfish?" She asked, expression softening. 

She was surprised when Nate took her hand in his and pulled her closer to him. His expression had soften as well, something she wasn't used to seeing from Nate. She gazed in to his eyes and couldn't miss the look of desperation. 

"You're not selfish, I am. Because I need you and I won't let anyone take you. Not Aiden and not death." He whispered and leaned in closer. 

Tara felt his lips touch hers and she felt as though she was falling. His lips moved softly against hers and she felt cool sand against her skin. She wasn't falling, but laying on top of the sand. She moved her lips against his and breathed in his scent. The sand could have been quick sand and she wouldn't have noticed. He deepened the kiss and she sighed softly against his mouth. 

The kiss made her feel human. The emotions were overwhelming, just like when she had fed from her. This was better though, but she needed to be closer to him. Her heart swelled with all of the good emotions. Sure, her heart hadn't beaten since she was first turned but it still felt as though it could burst. She nipped softly on his lower lip and she felt his smile against her lips. 

Never would she had imagined laying on a beach and kissing a demon. She felt his tongue lick along her lower lip and she opened her mouth slightly, finding his tongue with hers. From the first moment she saw Nate, she found him handsome and attractive. But he was also cocky and drove Tara mad with his comments. She let out a soft moan when he nipped her lower lip. 

She felt him pull away and she opened her eyes, pouting slightly. She didn't want him away from her. 

"I'm not a vampire, Tara. I need oxygen." He teased, smiling down at her and breathing rapidly. 

"I guess you do, don't you?" She smiled back at him. "Well, while you're catching your breath..." She said, using her speed to turn them around so she was laying on top of him. 

Tara bent to touch her lips to the side of his neck. His laughter was replaced by a soft groan coming from his lips. She smiled and ran her fangs against the side of his neck, being careful not to draw any blood. Brining her tongue out to lick along the side of his neck, she felt his hands tighten on her hips. She giggled and began to suck softly against his neck. She could feel his excitement and eagerness for her to bite him. 

Before things got too far, she heard the slide of the back door opening. She side and released his neck. 

"Someones coming." She whispered and got up, fixing her hair. As the person approached she could tell it was Jarith. Damn, he would be able to sense their excitement. Nate stood up and dusted off the sand as Jarith came closer.

Narrowing his eyes, Jarith eyed Tara and Nate. Tara looked at him and sighed. She wasn't in the mood for his protective nature. 

"What is it, Jarith?" She asked politely. 

"Well, I just got done talking with one of the Duefrey's and they think they know how to stop the curse." Jarith said, all business. 

"What? How?" Nate asked, touching Tara's arm. She hid her smile in front of Jarith. 

"We need to go there and take a fire user." He said, looking at Nate. 

"Let's go then." Nate replied, taking Tara's hand and walking towards the back door. Tara let a smile slip and ignored Jarith's glare. 

Upon entering the house, everyone seemed to be gathered in the kitchen where Alex, Bailey, and Rayne still colored. She was glad they were keeping him distracted. Nate still held her hand and the only one that noticed was Lara. She grinned at them and Tara smiled again. Not until they were gathered around the island, did Nate let go of her hand. 

"So, the Duefrey family thinks they can help us. We just have to take the curse, the book, and a fire user. Therefore, we will leave in an hour." Jarith said. 

"Some of us have to stay here, right?" Ethan said. 

"Yeah. They need all the magic they can get so you, Lara, and I have to go. Plus the fire user, Nate. And the curse, Tara." Jarith said. 

"What about Ashley? Isn't she kind of cursed as well?" Lara asked. 

"Yeah. That means Bailey, Cam, and Norah have to keep an eye on her, just in case." Ethan said. 

"Right. Keep sharp objects away from her. Got it." Norah said, walking over to where they stood. 

"Are you sure I can't come? You know, human sacrifice and what not." She teased. Tara was just glad her teasing manner was back. When Liam had broken her heart, she was thrown into a depressed state that nobody was used to from her. 

"No, Norah." Lara said sternly. Norah shrugged and sauntered off. 

"Well, then. Let us get ready to go. When are they expecting us?" Ethan asked. 

"As soon as possible." Jarith said, walking towards his room that he shared with Nate. 

Tara walked to her room alone, to get ready. She changed into a pair of black jeans and a black tank top. The shirt was a bit short, therefore she put a red button up sweater over it. She slipped on her black leather boots, zipping them up to just above her ankles. She tucked a dagger into one of the boots and stood to examine herself in the mirror. Her long blond hair was swooped to the side of her shoulder in a slightly messy braid. With a smile, she headed out of the room. She was ready to end the curse.