Familiar Face

BAM!

"Looks like she is home," You thought, sitting on the bed. You took a glance at the clock. It was 1 in the morning.

"Y/n, where are you?" Your drunk aunt shouted from the living room.

"I'm here." You jumped from your bed and took big strides toward her so that she won't get mad that you took long to get to her.

"You," She pointed at you using her index finger, eyes barely open as her other hand clutched the sofa to support her frail body, "I need money," she said.

"But I had just given you all my money yesterday" You furrowed your eyebrows.

She narrowed her eyes while staring at you, as if ridiculing what you had just spoken about, "Do you just talk back?" she took a few steps towards you.

You stepped back and softly shook your head, "No, I was just reminding you". Your heart started beating faster you could hear it in your ears.

Out of a sudden, she grabbed your hair harshly and pulled you. A yelp left your mouth as you grabbed her hand to reduce the pain.

"How dare you talked back to me, you ungrateful bitch!" She slapped you across your face twice.

You winced in pain while saying sorry, but you were thinking of slapping her back in the back of your head.

"Sorry?" She pulled your hair back so that you could face her, "Is that all you can say, a fucking sorry?" A hard smack reached your cheek, "I need money." She emphasized the word money.

She started hitting you while one of her hands still gripping your hair. You tried to remove her hand, but you were in great pain all over your body. The beating would not stop until her anger calmed down. It was too much that you could not bear it anymore and passed out.

--

You opened your eyes, slowly sitting up. You winced in pain as you touched your stomach, "Crazy old hag" you muttered softly. You got up and went to the bathroom to check on the bruises.

"Damn, she sees me as a punching bag." You touched your purplish cheek and winced. You let out a big sigh, knowing you could not do anything about it, and decided to take a shower.

You walked out of the bathroom and went back to your room. It was not in its cleanest state, but you were too tired to even do it.

You took a glance at the wall clock, "It's 9, gosh!".

As fast as lightning, you put on your work uniform and dashed out of the house - pain does not matter anymore, as long as your payment did not get cut short for being late.

--

"You're late today, Y/n," Lily said, your co-worker and a student from your old high school.

"I know!" You whispered as you put your punch card into the machine in a rush.

You worked as a cashier at XY Mart, and so was Lily.

"You got cough?" She asked after seeing your face mask.

"Yeah, it's bad, don't get too near, you might catch it as well".

"Poor beloved Y/n, how did you get it?" She touched your forehead with the back of her hand. "But you don't seem to be that hot." She looked at you with a frown - wanting an explanation.

"Lily, I told you not to get too near!" You removed her hand and tried to walk away.

"Are you lying?"

You shrugged your shoulder, "No, maybe I'm just getting better now".

Ding Dong!

The storefront bell rang, and a customer walked in. The two of you rushed back to your registration area. The man surveyed the store, took a few stuff, then walked to your registration area.