Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

The next day, Frank decided to skip school. He wanted to talk to Gerard again, and that scared him. Not once in his life had he looked forward to talking to anyone at school. Frank knew that there was something about Gerard, something that made him feel weak and vulnerable. Maybe it was that Gerard had somehow broken through Frank's tough exterior and overlooked the bad in him. 

Frank continued to sleep in the cemetery. After a few days of skipping school, his stolen savings had been depleted and the growling in his stomach made a reappearance. As he walked through the doors of the high school, he didn't want to admit that he was looking for Gerard. He scanned through the heads of the students in the hallway. A mop of black hair caught his eye. Gerard walked out the door at the other end of the big hallway that lead to the back parking lot of the school. Frank pushed his way through the other students, elbowing a few of them who decided to walk slower than a disabled grandma. He creaked open the heavy door and saw Gerard leaned against the side of the building taking a drag from his cigarette. Frank relaxed his shoulders and walked towards him. Gerard didn't look up but opened his mouth to speak. 

"I was worried about you the past couple days."Frank arched his eyebrow up. Well he definitely wasn't expecting to hear someone say that to him... 

"Oh" was all Frank could think to say. 

"Uhm... If you need some clothes, or maybe if you want to wash the ones you have... You're welcome to come over to my house." he said with a weird tone. 

Frank arched his eye brow yet again. Why did this guy insist on helping him so much? But then again, Frank oddly enjoyed being in Gerard's presence. 

"Actually, that would be really nice. I smell- like shit." said Frank with sarcasm, although he wasn't being entirely sarcastic. The last time he showered was... Well he couldn't even remember...

"Okay" chuckled Gerard. Frank smiled at the sound of Gerard's laugh. He realized that was the first time he had smiled since he left the hell hole. His laugh lightened the mood and removed the tension between the two. "Let's just get out of here now, I'm not really in the mood for school," added Gerard.

Frank glanced at Gerard through the corner of his eye as the walked through the neighborhood right across from the school. Gerard's face was soft and his hair hung carelessly around it. And his hazel eyes too. Frank found himself... attracted to Gerard... "What the hell am I thinking," he asked himself in his mind. "I don't like Gerard. I like girls, and boobs, and yeah...stuff like that," he thought, trying to convince himself. But the truth was that Frank did like Gerard. He was mysterious, yet open and kind. He didn't know what to do with his feelings so he shoved them down. He'd have to deal with those later. 

"Frank, why are you sleeping in the cemetery?" asked Gerard, interrupting Frank's thoughts. Frank blinked his eyes stupidly as he was snapped out of his trance. 

"Uh, I got kicked out of my house, so I've been staying at the cemetery," he stated. 

"Why'd you get kicked out?" pressed Gerard. Frank thought about telling Gerard the truth about his drug addiction, but something stopped him. He realized that he wanted to impress Gerard. Getting kickedd out of his house for possesion of cocaine was no way to impress anyone, so he made up a quick lie which was another one of his stong suits.

"I, uh, stole some money from my step dad," he said looking at Gerard to see if he would believe him. Gerard just nodded and they continued to walk down the sidewalk in silence until Frank thought of a question.

"So why were you in the cemetery that one night?" he asked. Gerard smiled and Frank couldn't help but smile back. 

"I knew it," said Gerard. Frank was confused by what he had just said. Was he crazy? Was he hard of hearing? Frank asked him a simple question and he replies with 'I knew it'? Gerard noticed that Frank was perplexed so he added. "I knew that you weren't like everyone says you are." This only further confused Frank. What the fuck was Gerard going on about? Frank asked him a question! Was he trying to change the subject or what?