17

A week later, the losers meet back up for the independence parade. By now, they're all aware of the relationship between Richie and Ivy.

"We've n-never been to the independence parade...you think there'll be a-a lot of people?" Ivy stutters to Novocane, not really expecting a response.

The dog whines a little, sending a comforting look towards her owner.

"I don't know, maybe we should just turn around now. We'll say I'm feeling sick!" She suggests.

Although, they're already standing a few feet away from the small carnival like area.

"Okay, I'm turning back now—" she mutters, beginning to turn around.

Before she can even take a step though, Mike notices her presence and calls out to her.

"Hey, Ivy! You made it!"

He wears an enthusiastic smile and waves her over to him, while she nervously smiles.

Damn it!

Novocane let's out a snort like noise, causing Ivy to roll her eyes as she walks towards the dark skinned boy. The losers are no where in sight, so it's safe to say that he's barely showing up as well.

"I just got here," he confirms her thoughts, "let's go find the others."

She nods at his suggestion, following closely behind him while looking around the crowded area nervously.

Eventually, they find the others and join the group surrounding a missing poster. Ivy catches sight of Richie. He is poorly attempting to play what appears to be either a tuba or baritone, while a band member desperately struggles to snatch the instrument from the boy's grip. Stan stares embarrassedly at the scene, standing beside the frail girl.

Richie hasn't even noticed his girlfriend's presence yet.

"Oh, no. What is he doing?" The curly haired boy cringes, along with Ivy. "Go get your boyfriend, please."

With a sigh, the girl hands Novocane's leash off to Stan, then proceeds to walk towards the disastrous scene before her. She just had to fall for the most incompetent boy alive. Of course she did. Of course.

With a bit of an amused smile, she clears her throat.

Richie freezes up at the sound, immediately recognizing the scent of perfume that engulfs the air around him.

Without a second thought, he pushes the instrument into the band members arms, and gives the smaller girl a large grin. The band member huffs and walks off annoyedly.

"Heya, babe," Richie greets, still grinning from ear to ear.

Ivy rolls her eyes, sliding her hand into his.

"Hiya, Richie. Any specific reason for harassing that poor band member?" She chimes, guiding them both back to their group of friends.

He only shrugs in response, kissing her cheek sloppily.

"To show off my tongue skills. So, are you impressed enough to let me French you yet?" He smirks flirtatiously as Ivy blushes a deep shade of red.

She slaps his arm, pulling her hand away from his to cover her cheeks.

"Pffft, you wish, Tozier."

He nods in agreement.

"Yeah, I do wish. Actually, I dream about it a lot—"

"Would you please shut up." Stan grumbles, having picked up on far too much of the conversation.

Richie rolls his eyes.