The Girl With Tattoos (29)

The crackling of Lee's radio snapped me from my thoughts and back into reality.

"There's an active shooter on the corner of Taylor and Saint George Boulevard, all officers on duty are expected to respond as there is more than one suspected shooter on sight," A voice on the other side said.

Lee listened and responded seconds after, "10-4, officer 201 and 892 are on duty and on their way to the scene."

"You two be safe, okay?" I nodded, staring off into the distance, thinking about their words from just moments ago safely in the back of my mind, "Oh, and next time kid, ask your sister here to borrow the gun instead of scaring the snot out of her, got it?" Intruder boy nodded, scratching the back of his neck. Robby nodded at us and headed to their car where they turned on their flashing lights and flew off without any hesitation. The red and blue soon vanished behind the thick brush and me and the dude I was locked arms with were left outside with nothing but the morning sun and the chirping of little birds.

"Now that was an experience," he said, forcefully pulling back his arm from him grip. I quickly spun around as he walked further into my house and sat down on my couch like he owned the damn place.

Anger welled up inside me as I slammed the front door shut loudly, watching him jump at the sudden noise. "Who the fuck do you think you are?" I stormed towards the man who comfortably propped his feet up on the coffee table. Pushing them off with a slight kick to the shin, I stopped right in front of him, blocking his view from the TV he had just turned on.

"What do you mean? I'm just trying to get comfy."

"Oh wow, I hadn't realized," He raised his eyebrows and tried to look around me to see the TV but I followed his gaze where ever it went, making sure to even make random faces to go along with my annoying tasks.

"Okay! You win, damn. What do you want?" He asked, putting his arms behind his head.

"We're not done with our conversation from earlier Intruder Boy."

"Intruder boy?" He laughed slightly, looking at me with a weird face. "That sounds like some sort of really bad super hero."

I crossed my arms over my chest, feeling the aggravation bubble up inside my stomach. "Well, it's not my fault that I don't know your name. Also, I don't appreciate you trying to change the subject."

He sighed softly, re-positioning himself on the couch so he was leaning against the arm rest. "My names Dustin, and I wasn't changing the subject, just pointing out that that nickname sounds like a fucking kids TV show that never made it to the screen, ya know?"

I rolled my eyes, my patience slowly running out. Plus, I was extremely late for school but I guess who cares about that. "So who assigned you to kill me?"

"Oh, well obviously Milo. He's been crazy about finding you. I don't know how he did it but he tracked you back here and told me to kill you off since you have the knowledge and power to take his entire empire to the ground," He looked at me and noticed my hard gaze focused on him. He released an annoyed breath, standing up to come face to face with me. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. I've been planning to escape that hell on earth since day 1, and saw this job as a golden opportunity to do just that."

I laughed, plopping down on the couch cushion directly in the middle, Dustin soon following. "You couldn't take me if you wanted to baby boy."

He chuckled and placed his arm behind me on the couch. "Another reason why I wouldn't even dream of touching you," He paused to look at me and I looked right back, "Baby girl."

I groaned and leaned back, feeling his elbow pit on my neck. "Don't call me that. That nickname is so cringy. I swear if I had a nickle, no, not even a nickle, a penny for every time I heard someones boyfriend call them that I would be fucking rich," I heard his laugh ring out throughout the house. It was deep and real, something I loved to see. I joined in seconds later but only because he was laughing so hard that he chocked. His laughter died down and soon he was actually choking on nothing.