chapter 10: please, mom?

Clarke's POV

"She's okay, right?"

"What if she doesn't wake up ever again?"

"She's been through worse."

"Are you an idiot? No she hasn't."

"I can't keep living like this, going to sleep alone every night."

All of these voices in my head were loudly echoing, making it almost impossible for me to open my eyes. Something in my body told me not to open my eyes. The voices would go away and they'd never come back. I wanted to hear them again. It was almost true bliss, one of the voices. If I kept my eyes closed, maybe, just maybe, I would find my way back—way back? Way back where?

I groaned as I rubbed my eyes. 

"Write down that subject B woke up after three days," I heard. I looked around the room and saw that I was in the hospital. A feeling of remembrance arose in me, this hospital felt familiar to me, but I can't pull a physical memory from my mind noting that I was here-

"Clarke, you're awake," my mother smiled.

"Yeah, why am I in the hospital?" I asked sitting up and stretching. 

"You're not in the hospital," she replied.

"I know I'm not home-"

"Let me rephrase that: you are in the hospital, but you're not recorded as being in the hospital," she said stroking my hair.

"What are you talking about? Mom, you're not making any sense," I said sitting against the wall on the small bed. 

"Clarke, I should have told you, I should've known you would be able to handle it, you're so strong."

"What did you do to me?" I asked.

"I didn't do anything alone. I did this for you, Clarke. 2149 is a mess and all you had ever known was surviving. You never had a childhood, you never knew how to live! This world, this one is better," she said now at the edge of my bed.

"So are you saying that this world, the one we are in right now..this is real?" I asked.

"I'm saying the opposite. This world is all in your head. Right now, you're real body is dying. Then all of this? This will all be permanent. Art school, home cooked meals, your warm room-"

"I don't want that!" I screamed trying to process everything.

"I'm your mother, I know what's best for you.

"No! I want to go home! You have to reverse this, please, mom!" I shouted standing up. I instantly regretted it because my legs failed me. I collapsed to the ground. I didn't care, I would have to crawl my way out. 

"Grab her," I heard my mother say from behind me. Just then, a man, who I soon recognized as Jackson, was carrying me to the bed. He and my own mother began to tie my wrists and legs to the bed. 

"Jackson, please! You know how wrong this is! I don't want this!" I pleaded. 

"You don't even remember the other world. Your mother had to tell you, Clarke. Soon, you will forget that Bellamy and your friends even existed in the other world. You won't have to help them and save their lives anymore," he told me as he injected a needle in to my arm.

"No, no, please! Mom, please, take me back! I don't remember specifics, but I hear the voices! I'll always hear the voices! Please, don't do this," I began sobbing uncontrollably. The medicine was beginning to rush into my veins at a speed I couldn't comprehend. My body began to seize slowly and I could hear my heart slowing down. 

"In the other world, you will be dead, Clarke. You won't even remember the pain. This is for your own safety," I could hear her say. But my head was a spinning mess. I tried to grab every memory that was fleeing my mind. Every time I would grab one, another one would escape. 

"No, no, no, no," I cried. 

The only memory I latched onto was Bellamy laying next to me underneath the night sky. I knew this was from another world because you could see every constellation, every star, the planets. He didn't have to say anything, I knew from the smile on his face that I was all he needed in that moment. 

My body no longer felt like a rushing a waterfall. It felt like I was floating. The darkness was almost deafening, but it was so warm. A single tear escaped my eye as I heard my own heart stop beating. 

~~~

Hey everyone! DO NOT WORRY. THIS IS NOT THE END. DON'T PANIC. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.