chapter 14: murphy is actually my friend

Clarke's POV

I felt cold. I couldn't feel the warmth of my jacket or Bellamy's jacket..Bellamy! I shot up and started to panic.

"Clarke!" I heard Murphy exclaim.

"Did all of that really happen?" I sat up against the wall to try to calm myself down. I had a moment to realize that I was stripped down to my bra and underwear.

"Murphy?" I asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

"Relax, Clarke. I I jumped off a cliff because your mom threatened to kill us all, and you were still in my arms. But when I dragged you to shore, I realized you would probably get sick from the wet clothes so there they are, drying over the fire," he said motioning to the fire and my clothes.

"Trust me, my eyes were closed the whole time. Which made it more difficult, that's how you have that bruise on your knee. Sorry about that," he laughed tossing my clothes back at me. I began to put my clothes back on when it started to rain outside. 

"This is really going to screw everything up," Murphy sighed, looking from the cave entrance. 

"What's going to get screwed up?" I asked not really wanting to know the answer.

"Bellamy was supposed to be back before the storm," he said.

"How long was I out?!" I exclaimed. 

"About three days. He should have been here, he should have fixed everything," he screamed in anger while throwing a rock down the cave. 

"That's a lot of pressure to put on one person's shoulders-"

"Look who's talking!" He yelled at me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get angry-yes I did. I'm very angry, wanna know why? Because Bellamy is the one who is supposed to be here and be your hero and save the day. I'm not supposed to rush into danger and risk my life for you! But Clarke, I would. I swear I would risk my life for yours-"

"What are you saying?" I asked sitting up and moving over to sit next to him. His hands were covering his face. When he removed them, there were tears in his eyes. 

"I knew Bellamy's plan. I knew what he was going to do and how much time it should have taken him. And after his plan, when I jumped, I heard a gun shot. It was Abby," he said. 

"My mom wouldn't shoot Bellamy," I denied everything he was saying.

"She would, and she might have. I have to go and find him, while you stay here," he said getting up now and packing everything back into a small bag. 

"Yeah, like I'm going to just sit here!" I screamed trying to stand up. I breathed in a sharp breath because the pain was almost unbearable. 

"I'm not going to carry you all the way back to camp," he said. 

"You're not going to have to carry me. We're going to float down the river," I said.

"Okay, but I still have to carry you to the river-"

"You said you were my friend! And you would risk your life for me," I smirked.

"I hate you," he said.

"I know," I replied. 

He stomped out the fire and then picked me up. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck, or at least I thought I did. I began to lose the feeling in my body. I didn't want to worry him anymore though, so I didn't say anything. 

"If Bellamy is dead, it's not your fault," I told him. He laughed.

"Yes it is, and you know it."

"No, I'm serious, Murphy. Don't blame yourself for whatever happens-" Right then and there, a craft of some sort was floating over our heads. A ladder rope fell from above and had about ten soldiers climbing down from it. 

"Well, it looks like we won't be swimming," Murphy said.

"Please don't let them take me," I said on the verge of tears.

"If you go, I go," he smiled tightening his grip around me. "Be brave, Clarke. Don't let them know how terrified we both are," he whispered in my ear right before I was ripped away from him. One of the men had roughly grabbed Murphy and tied his hands behind his back. Before carrying him up the ladder, the man had made sure to punch him swift in the face. 

"Is that all you got?" He smirked.

"Shut up, Murphy," I laughed. 

"We'll meet soon, Clarke. I promise you," he said as they knocked him out. I watched the men climb back up the ladder, and then I watched as I was being brought up. The ground soon became a distant patch of green before I was injected with another needle and blacked out.

~~~~four hours later~~~~

When I woke up, I saw Murphy. 

"See? I told you I'd go with you," he laughed.

"You didn't have a choice," I groaned while I tried to rub my back. However, I couldn't because I couldn't feel my arms. 

"You're losing feeling in your body, aren't you?" He asked. 

"Don't worry about me," I said.

"All of this has been about you, Clarke. Tell me where it hurts," he asked moving closer to me. 

"Everywhere," I said as I had begun to cry. I cried until there were no more tears. Even then, however, I kept shaking. 

"Everything is so messed up!" I screamed into Murphy's chest. Then he had done something no one would ever expect: he wrapped his arms around me into a tight hug. That pushed me over the edge and I had found more tears to shed. 

"Everything is always messed up. This time a little more, because your mom is going a little crazy, but still, nothing we can't handle. And hey, I saw Bellamy," he said still holding me.

"You-you did?" I asked looking into his eyes, just to make sure he wasn't lying. 

"Yeah, that idiot is alive," he said. 

"He's alive.." I whispered.

"Yeah, and he has a plan. He's going to set you free from all of this," he said. 

"Not just him. You too, Murphy.." I sighed, wanting to sleep. 

"I barely did anything. I just saved your life a couple hundred times." 

I slapped his chest before closing my eyes. 

Bellamy was alive. 

~~~~

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! Life is crazy and busy but I'm going to update one or two chapters tomorrow so I'm super excited for that!!! Thank you all for the support on this story!