chapter 12: you're giving this to me?

Clarke's POV

We finally had stopped running until we were deep in the woods. Bellamy had laid me down on the ground and wrapped his jacket around me. He must have seen or probably heard my teeth chattering.

"This is the point in time where you say, 'Oh, Bellamy, won't you be cold without your jacket?' And I would say, no, you keep it," Bellamy joked sitting next to me.

"You perfectly summed it up so I don't have to give back your jacket," I joked, trying to punch his arm. But as soon as I raised my arm, I cried out in pain.

"Clarke? Clarke, what's wrong?!" Bellamy asked, freaking out once again.

"My arm.." I breathed as I took both of the jackets I was wearing. Bellamy gently picked my arm up and inspected it.

"Wow!" Murphy screamed with disgust.

"Dude!" Bellamy yelled looking back at him.

"What? Tell me, what is it?" I asked nervously.

"It's not even that bad. Clarke, you look fantastic," Murphy said squatting down to my level and patting my head.

"Okay, now you have to tell what's wrong. Bellamy, please," I cried.

"Your entire arm..it's bruised everywhere. It almost looks like..like a lightning bolt struck you," he said trying to describe it.

"I need medicine," I said.

"You are not going to say what I think you are going to say," Bellamy said with a stern voice.

"If I take the medicine, all of my pain goes away. I go to another world where we can be together forever, Bells. In this world, I think I'm just going to deteriorate till there's nothing left. I can't let you see me like that."

"I can't see you dead! Again!" He yelled, now angry at me.

"Don't. You don't get to be mad at me! This world..this future wasn't made for love! This future would never let you and me grow old, and have children, and a hundred dogs. I want that. I could have that! Don't you want me to have that?" I sobbed into my good arm. Bellamy grabbed my chin and forced me to look at his beautiful face. The nerve.

"I want you to have that. But we can have that here, I promise you, Clarke Griffin."

"Bellamy, if you're going to propose, just do it," Murphy said standing up and leaned against the tree.

"I was getting to that," he said.

"Wait, what?"

"Let me finish, princess. I can give you that. I can give you happiness. I don't know what dogs are, but I swear I will find a way to bring them to you-"

"They're cute little animals back in 2017, and they're like so soft and cute, and wag their tails-"

"Can I finish proposing to you?" Bellamy laughed.

"Okay, yeah, I'm ready," I said nodding my head.

"I know you'll probably interrupt me again, so I'll just say this: you're right. This life is short. Every life is short. Whether it's the place in your mind or right now. We don't know our end time. But we do know when we are alive, and we can change how we view our lives from this point on. I don't care if I die next week, Clarke! I'll be happy knowing I was with you and happy with you,"

"Bells-"

"They're over here!" We heard. Bellamy panicked and rushed to pick me up. Murphy was running right next to us as we tried to run away. It seemed that every turn we made, someone was waiting for us.

"Murphy, take Clarke, I'm going to do something incredibly stupid," he said as he was trying to hand me over to Murphy. Once I was in Murphy's arms, Bellamy shouted,

"I suurender!"

"Are you crazy?!" I screamed.

"You're giving this to me?!" Murphy exclaimed.

"Hey!" I said.

"Kidding! You know that!"

"Yes, I am. But Murphy is going to take you far from here, to a cave that's three miles East. You stay there until I can get to you. I can fix this," he said kissing my forehead. But I wasn't going to let him do this. I weakly grabbed his arm and looked up at him with sad eyes.

"Don't look at me like that," he said removing my hand from his shirt. "I'll get to you, I promise."

And he ran off.

Then Murphy ran off with me still in his arms.

"They're going to kill him. She's going to kill him," I whispered.

"I'm going to protect you, Clarke," Murphy panted, trying to run the same speed that Bellamy had been running.

"They're going to kill him."

"He always comes back for you," he reassured.

"I can't be alone," I cried clinging to Murphy's shirt making him stumble.

"Okay, I get you, but don't try to physically pull me down, or else I'm going to drop you," he said.

"Okay," I weakly said.

Murphy tightened his grip around my body as he pressed my head against his chest.

"It's raining, keep your head down," Murphy said as he shielded me from the rain.

The rain never seemed to stop pouring.