CHAPTER 1 - THE BET

The side of Park Bom’s lips twitched in irritation as she saw Dara ‘hiding’ and moving from one tree to another to avoid her. Her best friend was wearing those damn clothes again from the era of the dinosaurs. There is nothing in the world that Bom would very much love to do more than pour gasoline in Dara’s closet and set her entire wardrobe on fire. Where the hell did she get those clothes in the first place?! No wonder her classmates kept calling her ahjumma, what with the thick-rimmed glasses and gigantic blouse-slash-dress-slash-GARBAGE!

Bom crossed her arms over her chest and waited at the entrance of Theater Arts building while her best friend is still deluding herself that she would be able to avoid her by doing her ninja moves from one tree to another. She is so cute; and by that she meant she can’t wait to lay her hands on her and strangle her to death.

Before Dara could reach the next tree though, she tripped and her things went flying everywhere. She adjusted her eyeglasses that was about to fall off when a student bumped into her, causing her to roll on the ground. The student paused and looked at her in annoyance. “You’re blocking my path”, she said and was about to continue walking when an angry Bom suddenly appeared in front of her. “Oh, am I blocking your path as well?” She hissed. The student casted her eyes downwards, cowering in fear with Bom’s glare, and immediately scampered away.

When Bom shifted her gaze back to where Dara was, she saw her moronic best friend crawling out of her line of vision, trying to escape.  She looked up at the sky and sighed in frustration before heading towards Dara.

“Where do you think you’re going?” She furiously said, grabbing the hem of Dara’s large blouse to prevent her from moving forward.

“I give up. I give up, Bommie!!” Dara flung her hands up in surrender and stood up to face her. “I didn’t mean to sell the clothes that you gave me but-...”

“They were my gifts to you!”

“-…the gifts that you gave me, but I’m short in cash and that kind of outfit is not my style and-..”

“That KIND of outfit is not your STYLE?!” Bom was about to breathe fire. “What the heck is your style?” This is usually the time when Bom reaches for anything to throw at her. Luckily, they were in an open space…unless she can uproot the nearest tree and send it flying to her head; which might be near possible given her outrage. Dara knew she was at fault. Bom was so excited when she was shopping for new clothes to give her but she sold them all. In her defense, she really needs the money since the pay she got from her part-time job wouldn’t even last for the month. And the outfits that she bought were really uncomfortable for her to wear. Skimpy dresses? Seriously? Is Bom crazy?

“Where did you sell them?”

“I love you, best friend.”

“Don’t you best friend me!” Bom threatened to hit her with her books, making Dara wince.

“At a second-hand store”, she answered sheepishly.

“You sold…the Balmain and Givenchy clothes…at a second-hand store?! DARA!”

The school bell rang, giving her a chance to escape. “Oh, did you hear that?” She blinked at Bom innocently.