Aint no rest for the wicked (the book will now be in Third person pov)

The next day was weird, because now that he looked at it, David did seem like a dog.
He loved nature, really athletic, great sense of direction(most likely from the heightened senses,) when he took a deep breath his tongue stuck out. His personality also reflected it, childlike and easy going, happy, it kinda shows how easy this should have been.
David acted a little different towards him that day, he didn't talk to him as much, and instead of correcting his language he just sighed. Most of the kids found it strange too.
"What's up with David, Max?" Nikki asked really hyper as alway.
"I don't know?" He shrugged. Acting nonchalant , he acted like he didn't care. Truly he did, what if David tried to kill him for knowing or something. But he shook it away, David would never hurt a kid.
That night he decided to make a trip into the forest. It was a warm night, and the trees were beautiful at night. He just walked, until a twig cracked behind him.
This was a bad idea it occurred to him.
There is a literally monster on the loose.
It has killed many before him.
And he took a walk in the woods in the dark.
Something touched him, and he swerved around to see a huge beast. It had reddish brown fur, and glistening green eyes. It's teeth bared, showing pearly whites, and its claws glittered.
For the second time in his camp experience has he every been scared. He held in a scream. The creature looked him up and down, and then made a small whine. It's eyes no longer had glinting malice, it was a soft look.
The thing, which he believed to be a wolf just bent submissively.
Then it got up in a flash and sat next to Max. He gingerly put out his hand, and pet it's head. It let him, and surprisingly leaned in.
Max actually smiled. The wolf was a lot like the dog he had before his parents stopped caring, and became terrible. He decided to test his boundaries, and scratched under the wolfs chin.  The smile on his face grew, and he pet the animal.
If you looked from a distance, you'd see that he finally looked like the ten year old he should be. A cute smile on his face, eyes softened, and petting the domestic wolf.
He sat there having the time of his life, until he finally curled up by the wolf with a kitten like yawn. And fell asleep.