4

I met Angela at Borrelli's for supper. I wasn't hungry, but I really needed to talk with her. We were seated and began to look over the menu.

"So, what's the occasion?" Angela asked as she ran her finger down the list of appetizer options.

I watched her for a moment before answering "What? I can't treat my girl just because?" She smiled at me. Oh my gosh, She's beautiful.

"Well I suppose you can do whatever you want to do."

I've always done what I want. I don't like to be told what to do, ever. That's why I'm not going to let the opinion of anybody alter my decision to take the journalism job.

"About that-" I started, but was quickly cut off by the waiter, who took our orders and moved along.

"What were you saying?" Angela asked. At this point I wasn't sure if it was anything that I wanted to say.

"You told me to do whatever I want, right?" I lowered her menu and took her hands.

"You usually do." She looked at me for a moment before turning back to her menu.

"Angela," I closed her menu and met her eye, "I'm going to miss you."

"What? You dumping me?"

"No! No, of course not."

"Then what are you talking about?"

I sighed and tightened my grip on her hand. "Do you remember the job I was offered a little while ago?"

"The job you turned down?" She narrowed her eyes at me, trying to figure out what I was saying.

"I never turned it down, I accepted it, actually."

"You're kidding me." The tone in her voice changed drastically.

"No, no I'm not kidding. My flight leaves tomorrow morning, I'm out of here."

"Shawn-"

"Don't discourage me, please."

"I was just going to ask if you've thought anything through."

"Of course I have, I'm not an idiot, Angela."

"I'm starting to think you might be." She pulled her hands away from mine and crossed her arms, "I can't believe you're leaving me."

Oh boy... I never wanted it to come across that way.

"Angela, listen-"

She cut me off "I've heard enough, Shawn, you're leaving me and you wanted to have a final date."

"I'm not leaving you."

"You're leaving me."

"I'm leaving town!"

"You're leaving me!"

"Don't take it that way!" I probably shouldn't have snapped at her, I took a deep breath and tried to speak more calmly "... It's not like we're breaking up, I'm just going to get out there a little more. See what I'm capable of."

"You know what you're capable of. You're plenty capable of staying right here." She stated, just making me feel worse

"I know, I know, but do you realize how great this opportunity is?"

"I realize it. I guess the opportunity is more important to you."

She's got this all wrong...

"Angela, you're being ridiculous. Can't you just support me?"

"I guess I don't have much of a choice, do I?" She sighed.

"You have the choice. It would be a lot easier on me if you'd back me up, though."

"Then I'll do just that."

"Thank you."

She nodded. A few moments of silence passed before I spoke up again.

"I'm going to miss you." I said with all sincerity.

"You better." I couldn't tell if she was joking or not.

"Don't worry, I will. I love you, okay?"

"Okay." She agreed, but didn't return the statement. I know she loves me, she's just mad. I understand why, I really sprung this on her.

We enjoyed the rest of our dinner, well, I did, anyway. We talked about my plans and how we both thought things would work out between her and I. As we were leaving she hugged me, to which I returned it back to her.

"You better take care of yourself, Shawn. Because this is really stupid."

"I know it is," I honestly don't think it's that stupid. "I will, don't worry."

A few moments of silence passed before I let go just enough to look into her eyes. "I love you so much, okay? Don't forget that."

"Well I love you too." She gave me a quick kiss and got into her car. I watched her until she turned a corner that took her out of my field of vision. That was the last time I would see her for a while.

I set back out on the road. I would go to the Matthews' before the night was over, I swore to myself.

There's a lot of ground to cover while driving around Philadelphia. I ended up driving very slowly passed the cemetery where my dad is burried.

My dad was never one to stick around. He'd show up for a little while and take off again. I never really knew where he went, or what was more important elsewhere, but something must have been.

I wondered if that's the impression I was leaving on everybody here. Though I believe that I have to be willing to go find more of what life has to offer. Will it leave everyone here that I love feeling like they weren't enough to keep me? I didn't know. There's a lot of stuff I don't know.

That question overwhelmed my mind as I made my way to Cory and Topanga's apartment, now comes the hard part.

These people are my best friends. I avoided tears in my goodbye to Angela, I'm not sure that I'll be able to here, though.