19

I started drinking at five o'clock when I got off work, I don't know what time it is now, but I know it's late.
It was starting to get a little chilly after the sun went down. Being mid-November I'm used to chilly, I was just under the impression that LA was always warm. I'm not really sure why I thought that though.

There's a knock at my door. Is Meg really coming over here after dark on a Tuesday night?

I get up and answer the door and force a smile at the girl standing behind it.

"Suprise!" Topanga throws her arms around my neck and gives me a hug, then she comes in, followed by Cory and Angela.

"Your place is huge... this is insane!" Cory says as he gives me a hug and then meets my eye for a second. "Shawn..." he steps back as Angela leans over to give me a kiss.

"Hey there, Baby, when did you get here?" I pull her close to me and kiss her again, oh how I've missed her lips.

"Cory look at these doors! Can we get doors like this when we get a pretty new house." Topanga asks as she explores the living area of the apartment.

"Topanga are you serious? You're talking about doors?" Cory grabs one of my beer bottles and hands it to me. "What's this here, Shawnie?"

"Oh Heey Cory. Thanks man." I tip the bottle up against my lips to find there isn't anything in it, I discard the bottle onto the floor with a little laugh. "It's good to see you, Buddy. Very very very very good."

"It would have be good to see you too." Cory furrows his brow at me.

"Oh boy..." Angela adds, covering her face with her hands and shaking her head.

"Shawn..." Topanga locks her arm with mine "why don't you just come sit down-"

I pull my arm away and lean down to meet her eye. "Why don't you go sit down, babygirl, I'll be right there." I wink at her and then give Cory a thumbs up.

"Shawn! Seriously! What's gotten into you?!" Cory raises his voice at me now.

"Californ-I-Aaaayye, Baaby." I'm sure I'm slurring by now, but I try to play it cool. "Living the dream!"

"What dream?" Cory asks

"The dream I'm not and you're living off the balcony with.. but not without getting with the babes, man"

"What??"

"You know.. the babes... you brought the babes man. You're so smart. I got the beer... you got the babes." I laugh, making my way over to Angela and slinging my arm over her shoulder "I call dibs on this hottie."

She pulls away, I'm a bit offended.

"Shawn you're awful!" She pushes me back a step, so I push her back two.

"Shawn you swore you'd never drink again..." Topanga interjects, sounding pretty sad, I couldn't imagine why.

"I did..? Ooh yeaaah. I did. Ahaha.... well I forgot..."

"Go to bed, Shawn!" Cory points down the only hallway in the apartment... How did he know which way my bedroom was..? He hasn't been here before.

I tap Angela on the shoulder "Come with me?" I ask her as I start to walk backwards toward the hall.

"Not a chance!" She snaps at me as I smack my back against a wall.

"Come on! Now!" Cory leads me with his hands on my shoulders, closing me in my room.

***

I get back from work the next day and toss my camera bag onto the couch. Hitting Cory with it.

"You're back" he states, I jump.

"You're here." I smile at him and sit down in the recliner. "How did you guys even get in here??"

"You let us in-" Angela deadpans.

"Last night." Topanga picks up the unfinished statement.

They all three have their arms crossed and their eyebrows furrowed at me.

"Alright this is cute guys, but if you're trying to stage a little intervention, I'm not exactly up for it."

"You gonna tell us why?" Cory asks.

"Its been a rough week, Cor, it was just this time, I swear." I lie.

"Shawn... you're not very good at just one time things like that... I'm glad we showed up when we did or it could have gotten real bad..." Topanga said, she was actually crying... which reminded me:

"Oh hey! Mom and Dad. You guys are probably stoked! I'm sorry I wasn't able to talk longer than I did. I was crazy busy that day."

"And the twenty three days after it." Angela says.

"You counted days?" I ask, that seems silly

"You didn't? Shawn I miss you!" She comes over and sits with me on the recliner. "You're so stupid."

"I know it..." I sigh and wrap my arm around Angela.

"Then stop it." She says as she thumps my forehead.

"I will, calm down. It doesn't have to be the big deal you all are making it out to be."

"Shawnie," Cory intercedes, "it is a big deal."

I just shake my head "what are you guys doing here?"